North American native orchids etc.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
I've been back from this trip for awhile now, but have been remiss in not posting some photos here. They were taken in Tobermory, Ontario--specifically, Bruce Peninsula National Park. I've been visiting this incredible place most years since 2000 at the time of year I can catch some of my favorite orchids in bloom.

The rare Cypripedium arietinum (Ram's Head) is my favorite native terrestrial slipper orchid:

arietinum2.jpg

Calypso bulbosa var. americana:

pink%20calypso.jpg

The albiflora form of the latter I was so excited to see for the first time:

White%20Calypso%20bulbosa.jpg

C. parviflorum var. pubescens

Cypripedium%20parviflorum%20pubescens.jpg

Lakeside Daisy (Hymenoxy acaulis var. glabra)

Lakeside%20Daisy.jpg

Gay Wings (Polygala paucifolia)

Polygala%20paucifolia.jpg

Putting the above in a bit of context:

forest.jpg

brucetrailII.jpg

mist%20at%20singing%20sands.jpg

grottoII.jpg

Wow, that is one of those special places and you captured it so well. Too bad the water is so cold, it looks lovely! I miss dearly those little "gay wings" - they are such a shock to see for the first time. You are very fortunate to see both Calypso and C. arietinum at one time (not to mention the white flowered Calypso!). Thanks for the look.

Thanks, all! Yes, it is most definitely a special place. As soon as we pull away from it, I begin thinking about how I'm going to get us back there again. We had to skip it last year and I don't think I can let that happen again. Life is too short. Timing (and time) is always the dilemma though. On one hand, I want to see new species there, on the other, seeing shriveled Ram's Head blossoms is a major drag for me (that has happened)--they and Calypso bulbosa consistently bloom around the same time there, but there weren't many other cyps yet, though huge clumps looked ready to explode as soon as we left. And, yes, the Gay Wings are a startling color! So many small blooms nestled in the moss and pine needles that command your attention despite their size. There were lots of Dwarf Lake Irises, too. Oh, and that water is reputedly full of people come summer! I wouldn't think twice about getting in it, because it does in fact look incredible, but I've been swimming in Lake Superior on the Keweenaw Peninsula, so I don't figure Huron's temps would bother me. We need more free time and cash to experience more things, but how many of us don't?!

I agree! I just meant that it can be tricky to find sometimes as it is not large, and it blends into the environment. Getting down and really looking at the small ones, you get to see what most people miss! How intricate some are!

Beautiful photos, Robin. And what a gorgeous place to photograph!

Dot, if you've never been, you simply must go. It's that spectacular. Living in Michigan (I'm envious because I still miss my home state), it'd only be about a six hour drive for you. You could leave at a reasonable hour and be enjoying whitefish and a pint by dinnertime and be refreshed for orchid sightseeing in the morning. I would gladly share suggestions with you for next year via email or PM because I know you wouldn't be out there with a shovel!

very nice pictures. the color is also very true, something I can't seem to accomplish with my 30D and sigma digital 50mm macro lens, and don't know why (need better glass, camera software not that good?) etc

Dot, if you've never been, you simply must go. It's that spectacular. Living in Michigan (I'm envious because I still miss my home state), it'd only be about a six hour drive for you. You could leave at a reasonable hour and be enjoying whitefish and a pint by dinnertime and be refreshed for orchid sightseeing in the morning. I would gladly share suggestions with you for next year via email or PM because I know you wouldn't be out there with a shovel!
Maybe I will need to go visit my nephew in the UP -- good excuse, right? You are certainly right about the no shovel, but I have to be careful with my big feet!

Maybe I will need to go visit my nephew in the UP -- good excuse, right? You are certainly right about the no shovel, but I have to be careful with my big feet!

Hmmm... You could get there from the UP, but you'd be going far out of your way and adding a lot of time to your trip. We've always taken the Blue Water bridge from Port Huron to Sarnia and gone up the west coast of Ontario to Tobermory. The Ram's Heads and Calyso bulbosa will likely be finished by the time you'd get there this year, but there would be other things to enjoy. If you stay "downtown", you have walking access to the head of the Bruce Trail, but you would probably want to get in the car to pick it up again near Cyprus Lake. You would want to set aside a day to take the Blue Heron from Little Tub Harbour for a day to tour the shipwrecks before being dropped off on Flowerpot Island for a day of hiking (they pick everyone up from the island around 4:30). Also, the trails at Dorcas Bay/Singing Sands are a must. If you have the time (we have not yet, still), you can take a ferry from Tobermory to Manitoulin Island which is also supposed to be spectacular. If you do these trails at the right time of year, you WILL find many lovely orchids and other beautiful flowering plants, too. These pointers will all make sense when and if you get there and pick up a park map.

Hmmm... You could get there from the UP, but you'd be going far out of your way and adding a lot of time to your trip.
Oops -- I was in the wrong part of Canada. I just looked up Bruce Peninsula, and see what you mean. A trip isn't in the cards this year, but who knows what the future will bring. In any case, it was nice to visit it through your eyes and camera.

Latest posts

Back