Nick Tanacci liquidation sale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like it, it's good!

Price for select clones/crosses is determined by many things. Does it grow rapidly enough to divide frequently? Does it grow strongly (will the owner need to keep several backup divisions or none)? Flower quality decent to excellent? Does it breed well as both pod and pollen parent? Do its good traits carry through in breeding? If awarded, age of the award (current standard)... And just because it is awarded, doesn't man it's valuable.

It's a hobby! If you like it, buy it/keep it! :)

Gary, I may be wrong on this next statment but I doubt it. Before I purchase a share from Nick I had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that he really had sold all or at least most of his stud plants to another breeder.

If that is the case it should indicate it on the clearance web site.

e-spice

Hmmm ... now the difficulty starts ... how long will it take to decide which ones I keep and who goes?
And how do you determine a price, especially if you sell a select plant. .
I think the select plants are the no-brainers, all keepers at least until you see the bloom! Price? I guess it depends on what someone is willing to pay. Do you take a chance on ebay & set a reserve? Like Ernie said, if you like it, it's good!
Last summer I purchased the ten pack & it was easy to compare blooms when they're lined up side by side. I rated that first blooming, made notes, is the second blooming as good or better? If not then it's probably goodbye. Yippee look how many more I get to do that with now!:crazy:

Gary, I may be wrong on this next statment but I doubt it. Before I purchase a share from Nick I had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that he really had sold all or at least most of his stud plants to another breeder. I went threw the stud plants and didn't find a single that was a parent of any of the seedling that are also offered in the package. Now, that's not to say that there aren't some really nice ones worthy of breeding with in the select plants.

Did anyone else who got the stud plants have any that were one of the partents of any of the other seedlings in the package?
Nope. I think you're probably right Bob, think about it, why would he put a $1000 plant in a package of 260+ plants for $1250? We know there's breeders out there that would want/desire & pay that much for a proven stud plant.

..... I did get some selects with yellow tags (most had white tags) and was going to email Nick and ask what that indicated. Perhaps I'll get some more information on the studs/selects. His liquidation sale listing does say "35 mature plants chosen at random from my stud and select plant collection that are valued at $50—$1000 each"
I have one with a yellow tag, it's a Dom's Trix & I'm expecting it's a select plant. If you checked out his select plants on the website, he had some that had a $35 price tag, not sure how 'select' that is for a blooming plant but Nick's prices were very reasonable, his 10 inbud for $120 couldn't be beat!
Maybe someone could help with the codes on the tags - I know/assume NT stands for Nick Tannaci, PUN is Paphantics Unlimited, what is PO?

If you like it, it's good!

Price for select clones/crosses is determined by many things. Does it grow rapidly enough to divide frequently? Does it grow strongly (will the owner need to keep several backup divisions or none)? Flower quality decent to excellent? Does it breed well as both pod and pollen parent? Do its good traits carry through in breeding? If awarded, age of the award (current standard)... And just because it is awarded, doesn't man it's valuable.

It's a hobby! If you like it, buy it/keep it! :)

I agree, there can sometimes be a subjective aspect to the value of select plants [of course along with what the market will bear]...but in the end it comes down to what u like... and it helps if know the grower and trust his/her judgment.

In our group, we had about 8 or more that seemed to have clonal names attached to the select plants, and I did notice the yellow tags, but didn't pay that much attention to them as I was splitting them. I would be interested to know if that has special meaning.
I don't know a good plant from a great plant, but I figure I will know what I like when I see it, so it is worth the investment for me. Luckily, I found some people to split the group with, so I am only invested a few hundred dollars, I just feel like much more of a hobbiest/novice, so just getting a few dozen plants made more sense for me that a whole shipment!

PO is what we be after buying all dem plants! :poke:
WHAT??? This is coming from the guy that has no budget! :rollhappy::rollhappy:
PO is what you get when you find out how long it takes to pot all them up!

I went through the stud plants and didn't find a single one that was a parent of any of the seedling that are also offered in the package. Now, that's not to say that there aren't some really nice ones worthy of breeding with in the select plants. I beleive only 2 of mine had clonal names and an additional one had roman numerials.

Did anyone else who got the stud plants have any that were one of the partents of any of the other seedlings in the package?

I have about 8 with clonal names; some descriptive like 'Day Light" and "Ocelot" and others like "Z" and "NT4". I did get Norito Hasegawa 'Yolk', which is a parent of several crosses on the list.

Well, I got through potting plants and taking inventory about the same time Nick sent out the "I've got more great plants for sale" email. I will say he was very generous with the number of plants sent.

Gary, it sounds like you did real well. I think mine was one of the very first packages to be sent. I counted and recounted the plants and came out about exactly to what was suppose to be sent. Still, I'm one happy camper. The one choice plant that arrived with it's roots broken off (via shipment), is trying to make a bud. This morning I cut out the sheath and tyed a wire onto the base of the plant. I'm almost 100% sure it will make it.

Last edited:
:rollhappy: yep - fatigue set in, it messes with your mind & eyesight!
We got an email from him at one point - "if I look at another baggie I think I'm gonna puke!" It took him 4 days, working like a dog all day to get the first offering of packages out. Poor Nick in that sense!

Back