New Purchases.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phraggy

Reaction score
Acquired these two kovachii via EYOF. Both have previously flowered and have good strong new growths. The larger one has a leafspan of 26" and the smaller one 15". It looks like they have been in these pots for sometime (4" and 6") with amount and density of the moss on top. I presume that coming from this source they will be planted in a type of rockwool . Just two questions should I water these with slightly alkaline water and would Akernes Rain mix fert ( similar to MSU ) kill the moss if fed from above??
Ed

Attachments

• DSC00273.JPG
    DSC00273.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 59
Best to have the media slightly alkaline and the water slightly acidic or neutral.

The moss will live as long as the total tds of the water remains low.

Many thanks Lance but I don't intend to repot, and add the alkaline ingredient, until they show signs of having adapted to my conditions.

Ed

looking good. mine is growing well in a mix of moss, with small fir bark charcoal and sponge rock, with a liberal dose of oyster shell throughout. i'm watering with pH neutral to 6.5 tapwater including very weak fertilizer. the roots like to be WET at all times.

You guys in england use pounds? I thought the euro was the currency?
Wrong Troy we are the only country to keep our own currency. The rest of Europe adopted the euro and are now paying the price for it. The common market , as it used to be called, has become very political and to my mind is the most corrupt society that has ever been formed. You could say that Germany has achieved their goal of running Europe without having a war!!!
Don't get me going on politics !!!!

Ed

Lol.. you english are intelligent and proper even when beiing improper lol.. yeah, I remember hearing something about the euro going south, but I don't watch tv, so I'm a little out of tune with worldly issues, whats happening over there?

Lol.. you english are intelligent and proper even when beiing improper lol.. yeah, I remember hearing something about the euro going south, but I don't watch tv, so I'm a little out of tune with worldly issues, whats happening over there?

Better not say anymore Troy -- think I've said enough don't you??
Ed

Ok, it's good to talk to you, I don't have cable t.v. so what I hear is from on here or physical conversation, not many people I know talk about europe

Ed

Completely forgot to wish you good luck with those kovachii. I have 4 small seedlings about 6-8 inches leaf span, but it will be years before they bloom. They really are quite expensive in the US and the little ones were all I could afford.

Mike

I have some seedlings about a year or so out of flask. I paid roughly $25.00 each, in flask. Started with 20, I now have 17 ranging from 3" to 6" leaf span. When I got them they were about 1 to 2.5" leafspan. They are slower than the rest of my Phrag hybrids, hoping to see flowers in the next 3 or 4 years...

Good purchase. I'm impressed that you were able to get plants from EYOF so cheaply. I would have thought that the cost of export from Jersey would have made that prohibitive, if not impossible.
Kovachiis in the us run $1,000 lol.. seriously
That's not totally true.

Eric. I can get paphs posted to me from Madeira for a little under $7 and Jersey will be about the same. I got them through a friend of mine who deals with EYOF.

Ed

Latest posts

Back