New plants...:D

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

biothanasis

Hello, today I received two purchased plants from ebay...!!! The big one is Gongora quinquenervis (pic 1) and the other Coelogyne cristata (pic 3).
Well on the first one there is a black spot on a psdb (pic 2)...should I cut it off ??? I would not want to spread out on the whole psdb... :(
It is hard in feel. The Coelogyne is in great shape and two growths have started!!!! :)

Additionally, should I pot them in sphagnum (with some perlite perhaps and a little bark...)??? (I think that both were potted in sphagnum and fern mix...)

Attachments

• P080409_13.36.JPG
    P080409_13.36.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 13
  • P080409_13.35.JPG
    P080409_13.35.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 12
  • P080409_13.45.JPG
    P080409_13.45.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 10
  • P080409_13.46.JPG
    P080409_13.46.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 11
:clap: :clap: I was thrilled with my Gongora quinquenervis last year, it was throwing spikes most of the summer!

Mine is in a bark mix. I bought a couple more gongora from Orquideas del Valle last fall. He said people have had trouble growing these, they rot easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all my cristata in a bark mix!!! The thing is to keep them cool enough in winter to initiate spiking!! and even these do not tolerate freezing :) ! Jean

Hmmm... TY both for the instructions...:D:D:D

I finally put the cristata in bark, with some leca and chopped sphagnum added, and the quinquenervis in pure sphagnum. I think that from what you said Rose I can control it better in this ...Time will tell...:p I haven't remove the black part, but I will if I see it grow...lol

The gongora started new growths but is kind of dehydrating although new roots are developing and cristata is doing just fine...:)

But today I received these little guys, bought them from ebay!! Tolumnias!!! I always wanted to have some!!! They grow in dry conditions right?!! They came in these pots with no potting mix!! Should I repot them??? How do you treat your??! Any help is much appreciated...!! TYIA:D

Attachments

• P300609_11.48.JPG
    P300609_11.48.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
Sunny and warm, many of the species come from places where it showers every morning then gets hot and dry so I have mine in stones/aliflor and charcoal so I dont let water sit in the media.

Back