Need help with this Paphiopedilum ID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hyun007

Bought this as a Wild Paphiopedilum Gratrixianum at the end of February.

It is not in full bloom yet, currently is the blooming season for Gratrixianum in the wild but the flower looks odd.

A friend said it is a var. of Villosum but the leaves are way different from Villosum which are usually much wider than this.

Will be grateful if anyone of you can help with the ID.

Many thanks.

http://www.orchidboard.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=123704&stc=1&d=1480839153

The leaves look a bit like exul to me.. Maybe a natural hybrid of vejvarutianum?
Exul leave is much thicker and Vejvarutianum leaves is waylonger in length! I have both plants but then there is always this "depend on their habitat" thingy that I learned from some seniors.

not sure where the wilderness was where your plant came from, but maybe it goes in this direction.
The original were from Guangdong/China, whereas the parents of my plant were from SE Yunnan, according to the source.
I was suspecting that as it was close to what it looks like when I search but I just checked with the seller a day or 2 ago nd he said it is was from the forest in South of Laos where only Gratrixianum is collected.

Another 2 persons also confirmed it as Gratrixianum and said that it has many var as well as some without spots on dorsal sepal. That dorsal sepal withot spots is still quite new to me.

I also have another 2 experience seniors thinking it was a var. of Villosum.

Anyway, below is an updated photo. It is still not in full bloom. Staminode not turning out and dorsal sepal top part not opening. I hope I had not caused a problem when I brought it inside the house due to heavy rain (95cm in 5 days) as well as removing a leave(rather be safe than sorry, in case it was rot).

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't look gratrix. to me, but I'm no expert. Could
it be a cross of villosum x gratrix. It looks more villosum
with a difference to me. Interesting.

I was thinking a natural Gratrixianun X Villosum as well buy seller and another gratrixianum grower said it is a grayrixianum. It did not bloom corretly. The stamonide is still pointing in and the top dorsal sepal did not open. Looks like I will have to wait till next year to see it in full bloom or if there will be any different.

Latest posts

Back