Need Dendrobium advice

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if my current winter temps are cool enough for D. aggregatum. The temps range from 60F-67F. I have a place that constantly stays around 35F-40F but this seems too cold. And no I can't crack a window, got in trouble for doing that. :)

Hmmm ....... here's my 2 cents worth ....
although I wasn't successful at blooming it, it grew like a weed for me. I had mine in a shallow net type pot with some coco fiber. These plants are found growing on tree trunks in open forests with a dry, full sun, winter rest, so why would you be hesitant on mounting it?
The night time winter lows in my GH are 50-55, it was located in the south end. I, too, thought because it was mounted that it should be watered weekly in the winter. As I talked to various people that were successful in blooming them, I was told don't even mist them in the winter, dry meant dry. I felt I tried everything, (had the plant for 8 years) & sold it this past fall, good luck, hope this helps!

So you didn't water at all during winter and it didn't shrivel up? Or did you water once a month or something? Would you keep it totally dry or same or more moist mounted as in a pot?

I haven't personally grown D aggregatum, but I do recall now exactly what Rose said, being said to me. Bone dry. Yes, there will be some shriveling, but this is part of what the plant needs to trigger blooming. I have grown Dendrobium nobile for many years, and bloomed it many times. I used to keep it bone dry also, no water at all. It would shrivel and look bad, but when the new growth and flower buds started to show, I started watering and a few days later the plant looked great. Don't worry about it being too dry during the rest. Like some cactus, it really does need to dry out.

I'll probably mount it on virgin cork. When would be the best time to do that? Some sources say you can mount it while it is resting and continue giving it rest, but I don't know.

Not sure if my current winter temps are cool enough for D. aggregatum. The temps range from 60F-67F. I have a place that constantly stays around 35F-40F but this seems too cold. And no I can't crack a window, got in trouble for doing that. :)

Are my current winter temps of 63F-70F cool enough? I could put it in the fridge of 40F at night?

Thank you so much for your help everyone. You've all helped a lot. I hope I don't bother you by asking too many questions!

I'll probably mount it on virgin cork. When would be the best time to do that? Some sources say you can mount it while it is resting and continue giving it rest, but I don't know.

Are my current winter temps of 63F-70F cool enough? I could put it in the fridge of 40F at night?

Thank you so much for your help everyone. You've all helped a lot. I hope I don't bother you by asking too many questions!
Most seem to feel repotting is best done when roots are showing active growth, my gut says it may be better to wait to mount.
I don't think your temps are a problem unless you don't have at least a 15 degree difference between day/night. The trick seems to be the dry winter rest. One year I tried occasional misting, the next year none for 6-8 weeks, no blooms, the next year 3months no water, no misting no blooms, whatever I did it still continued to grow!
Today I noticed buds on my dend. atroviolacea, this will be the 2nd dend I've bloomed/rebloomed!

forget the fridge.
Just try in the coolest part of the greenhouse. Mine is a small plant but outside year round in a mesh basket. It can get into the high 40's or low 50's in winter, here.
Don't 'repot' unless its in active growth (new roots showing).

I've got it mounted now and it looks really nice.

P1060493_zpsf87b6acb.jpg

P1060488_zpsbaf1e48b.jpg

Mine was mounted, it grew like a weed but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to bloom ... but it will now 'cause I sold it this fall! :p
so true!

i've had an aggregatum-type that i bought a few years ago with lots of growths (mounted on cork) and after a while the new growths and spikes would turn black. it hasn't flowered (but I haven't killed it which is a miracle with dendrobiums for me) and also may head to someone else, soon

I just posted bud pics of a pleuro that the owner told me hadn't gotten it to flower in four years, and it just put out buds for me (I got it a few months ago)

Latest posts

Back