nd I thought salt creep was bad...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Homegrown coral reefs are beautiful — and potentially dangerous

In May, members of a family living in a suburb of Adelaide, Australia, scrubbed the coral tank in their home and went to bed. A few hours later they awoke, struggling for air. The family was “quite unwell with breathing difficulties,” said Daniel Hamilton, a spokesman for the South Australian Country Fire Service. All of seven members of the household were hospitalized, the youngest child in the intensive care unit.

Within an hour, Hamilton said, emergency responders traced the incident to the scrubbed coral. The animal reacted to the cleaner as though it were a predator, spewing a chemical that spread through the house as an aerosol.

Officials on the scene quarantined the building. “This isn’t the sort of thing we’ve dealt with before,” Hamilton said. It took three hazmat removal groups wearing breathing apparatuses and suits to clean up the mess, Australian newspaper ABC reported. They neutralized the toxin with bleach and vacuumed up the particles.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...omepage/story&utm_term=.8a19870e6c80#comments

Not nearly as dangerous as the sensationalized article would have one believe. You REALLY have to try to be poisoned by Palythoa before it'll happen. Think like eating them or scalding them like the Australian idiot or grinding them up in a blender and spraying the soup in your own face. I've handled Zoas and Palys for more than 15 years, not so much as a tingle.

Ouch! Hate to disagree with an expert, but I doubt it was amphipods. My money's on Cirolanid isopods being the real culprit. They're nasty.

Latest posts

Back