My Halo

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goldenrose

The tag from OL reads victoria regina var. liemianum. Lance's book has listings for both, although the descriptions(plant size, leaf size, shape,etc) read almost identical. This plant is in a 6.5"azalea pot, it has a leafspan of 23" & the leaves average 2 1/2" wide. It's got 2 mature growths & 2 new starts.

The tag from OL reads victoria regina var. liemianum. Lance's book has listings for both, although the descriptions(plant size, leaf size, shape,etc) read almost identical. This plant is in a 6.5"azalea pot, it has a leafspan of 23" & the leaves average 2 1/2" wide. It's got 2 mature growths & 2 new starts.

very nice bloom, but a huge plant!! I got a 'lienianum' in April, and that is just a small plant of +/- 15 cm ls!! If this smally has to grow to the size of yours before blooming :eek::eek:, I will have to wait for some time!!! Jean

Goldenrose, this little one is simply great ! So elegant, the pink, the rose, that green ! wow ! :clap:

I hate to be negative but this plant doesn't look right in my "mind's eye" Rose does the top of the leaves have a mottling of green and sliver? Are there stiff bristly hairs on the edge of all the leaves? The plant size is bigger then most. Maybe the "var" is a "X" instead? I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will be again. Beautifully growth Rose

Thanks guys! I've had the plant about 18 months. I bought it off a guy from the other forum & I believe he grew underlights. It was finishing up blooming at that time & was a decent size plant (I was surprised at the size too!). This blooming is off the second growth, the plant didn't seem to miss a beat going to the GH & it's been an easy keeper.

Is There A Question?

Lumper? Most sources have liemianum as a separate species, I think.
Yep - that was the question - is it a matter of lumpers or splitters? What's the difference between liemianum & victoria regina? The only difference I'm picking up thru Lance's book is victoria regina grows at a higher altitude (2600-5300ft. vs.1800-3600 ft.).

I hate to be negative but this plant doesn't look right in my "mind's eye" Rose does the top of the leaves have a mottling of green and sliver? Are there stiff bristly hairs on the edge of all the leaves? The plant size is bigger then most. Maybe the "var" is a "X" instead? I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will be again. Beautifully growth Rose
There is mottling in the leaves - light green/dark green no silver. The underneath sides of the leaves have fine purple spotting/dots that will even look like lines. The markings are heavier at the base of the leaf.
There are sparse bristly hairs at the base of the leaves but become smooth as you move to the tip of the leaf.
Lance describes plant size as medium to large.
The tag is pretty clear.

I was selling flasks of (chamberlainianum x liemianum) = Salvador Dali some 8 years ago. Chamberlainianum is also considered a synonym of victoria-regina by some.

Most of the world considers liemianum to be a species in its own right. The hairs on the base of the leaf margins should be dark red-brown, not clear. The red spots on the leaf underside should be rather heavy toward the leaf base. If the hair (cillia) are clear, spots sparse, then the probability of you having a hybrid is higher. If you like the flower - keep it. Bring it to the next Illinois Orchid Society meeting, look for me or for Ernie. Either one of us could look at the plant and make a good guess.

Latest posts

Back