My Father's Day gift has arrived

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Three plants from John out at OZ (ciliolare not shown)
I was hoping for better conditions for the flowers but there is always the next blooming. The spike broke in two places which I taped with a stick. Same thing with the LI.

Formosa Lady
Paph%20Formosa%20Lady1_zpstynrdyyb.jpg

Paph%20Formosa%20Lady2_zpsuq7taszm.jpg

Lady Isabel
Paph%20Lady%20Isabel2_zpsqx85i0kl.jpg

And two others form Fred Clark of SVO not currently in flower but I did lift Bent's Ebay PICs:D tto show here.

Julius (sorry for the tiny PIC)
s-l64_zpsezjg0oa6.jpg

A new hybrid
gigantifolium X philippinense
gigantifolium%20X%20philippinense_zpsnilo78fe.jpg

Lovely! Was this from their ebay website?
Yes
Nice but, whoever packed them should be caned! :mad:

No sh*t! OZ needs to send his packers back to packing school. Seriously, he should try multiple ways of packing flowered plants and mail them to himself. Then he will figure out what works. So far I'm batting 100%, 3 of 3 flowered plants came in with busted spikes and crushed flowers.

Nice plants none the less!!! How the hell were you able to order a handfull of plants from O.Z. ?

Nice plants none the less!!! How the hell were you able to order a handfull of plants from O.Z. ?

Ebay or I just have a chat with John. John on at least two occasions posted offerings here to us STers. Plant lists, flasks etc. He is in the business of making money and orchid people happy.:D

I'll have to show this post to my family.

Top shelf plants those. Five flowers on that Formosa Lady is impressive. Nice dark colour too. Do you think the Susan Booth used in this cross was actually a William Ambler? My Formosa Lady currently has two spikes that are just about to open. Low flower count though.

Looks like a nice LI as well.

Packing flowers like that wouldn't be easy. My experience here is they would cut the spike before sending. By the size of the plants, you shouldn't have to wait too long for them to reflower.

OZ should take packing lessons from Marilyn or Mr. Lin...
always packed perfectly. Multis aren't my favorites, but
I can see that these are extremely nice even a bit crushed...very dark and mysterious. What, oh what, would we do without holidays to get expensive plants??!!

I'll have to show this post to my family.

Top shelf plants those. Five flowers on that Formosa Lady is impressive. Nice dark colour too. Do you think the Susan Booth used in this cross was actually a William Ambler? My Formosa Lady currently has two spikes that are just about to open. Low flower count though.

Looks like a nice LI as well.

Packing flowers like that wouldn't be easy. My experience here is they would cut the spike before sending. By the size of the plants, you shouldn't have to wait too long for them to reflower.
I'm wondering the same David about the Susan Booth and that's a question I would like to put forth to John. Does he know any history on the S. Booth 'Midnight' clone? The clonal name maybe a clue to the true origin of this parent. You are also correct with the size of all the plants except for the ciliolare which is in bud on a single growth.

Here are the other two multis (Julius on the left) which I forgot to take pics of. They should also bloom in season without skipping.
IMG_8865_zpskii69s4t.jpg

The ciliolare
IMG_8866_zps51eorc5k.jpg

OZ should take packing lessons from Marilyn or Mr. Lin...
always packed perfectly. Multis aren't my favorites, but
I can see that these are extremely nice even a bit crushed...very dark and mysterious. What, oh what, would we do without holidays to get expensive plants??!!

"very dark and mysterious" I couldn't said it better.

I'm wondering the same David about the Susan Booth and that's a question I would like to put forth to John. Does he know any history on the S. Booth 'Midnight' clone? The clonal name maybe a clue to the true origin of this parent. You are also correct with the size of all the plants except for the ciliolare which is in bud on a single growth.

Here are the other two multis (Julius on the left) which I forgot to take pics of. They should also bloom in season without skipping.

"very dark and mysterious" I couldn't said it better.

I think that clonal name gives it away. You would never give a normal Susan Booth the clonal name 'Midnight'. William Ambler x sanderianum is a cross I would love to have. You have seen my Formosa Lady but it is a golden/honey colour.

Those plants are amazing. So beautifully grown. They are perfect.

Wow~ you must have nice children! :)

I see that you have a parishii in bloom, too.

Looking at photos of greenhouse with lots of goodies always makes so jealous!

I think that clonal name gives it away. You would never give a normal Susan Booth the clonal name 'Midnight'. William Ambler x sanderianum is a cross I would love to have. You have seen my Formosa Lady but it is a golden/honey colour.

Those plants are amazing. So beautifully grown. They are perfect.
I whole heartedly agree with your thoughts on the S. Booth. Along with your assessment of the plants culture. My challenge will be to keep that perfection going.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back