Multifloral Spike Orientation Under Lights

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc6847

Reaction score
Wossner Black Wings is looking to take flight. Question is, how does one keep the spike from burning under the lights while simultaneously having the flowers face one direction, the spike to stand up straight, and the whole thing to not blast? Unfortunately I can't move these lights any further up and I'm worried if I put this thing off to the side of the rack it will cause the spike to grow leaning forward. So many questions but I want to get this thing in prime condition for a potential award

1711603822095.png

In another week once the buds are out of the leaves, start watering daily. You want the have good turgor pressure to elongate the spike and buds.

i would leave it be for a couple weeks. When the inflorescence gets closer to the light, move the plant to the side. You will have a sense for which way the buds are facing at that point. While the spike usually grows towards the light, IME it is mainly down to genetics as to the orientation of the flowers. I just try to keep the plant facing the same way throughout the process.

I usually stake after the first flower is opening.

Justin, just curious as to your recommendation for frequent watering in bud. Does this apply only to multis? And how long do you keep up the heavy water, and a final dumb question - no concerns with root rot with so much water? Thanks in advance.

Justin, just curious as to your recommendation for frequent watering in bud. Does this apply only to multis? And how long do you keep up the heavy water, and a final dumb question - no concerns with root rot with so much water? Thanks in advance.

I do this with multis. They are usually taking up so much water to elengate the inflorescence that root rot is not a concern. I will even let the plant sit in water during this phase.

In another week once the buds are out of the leaves, start watering daily. You want the have good turgor pressure to elongate the spike and buds.

i would leave it be for a couple weeks. When the inflorescence gets closer to the light, move the plant to the side. You will have a sense for which way the buds are facing at that point. While the spike usually grows towards the light, IME it is mainly down to genetics as to the orientation of the flowers. I just try to keep the plant facing the same way throughout the process.

I usually stake after the first flower is opening.
The buds are out of the leaves but our place is having a cooler spell as of now and I tend to rot out my paphs more than dehydration, I'll increase watering to twice a week and see how fast it dries out.

I do this with multis. They are usually taking up so much water to elengate the inflorescence that root rot is not a concern. I will even let the plant sit in water during this phase.
Thank you for the info! I wonder if this is why some of my re-bloomings are not quite up to par on otherwise healthy-appearing plants...(considering of course other aspects too)

Latest posts

Back