More Disa photos

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last week I spent some time at 22 Watervalle (22 Water Falls), a small camping/holiday get away at the foot of the Porterville Mountains. While there I took a trip up the mountain to the Groot Winterhoek Moutain Reserve to see the local Disa uniflora. (While the mountain pass was nice and tarred and offered spectacular views, the road to the actual reserve was most perilous. It was a dirt road in poor condition and feared my little VW Polo would not make it out alive. It did, thankfully.)

Here are some Disa uniflora photos:

This is the scene that greeted my girl friend and I after a 30 min walk from the parking area. In spite of it being a 30 deg C day down in the valley, it was quite cool up in the mountain.
disaspread.jpg

Here are some close-up shots:
disaflowers.jpg

disa1.jpg

This is my favourite:
disa2.jpg

disa3.jpg

If you compare these to the previous set of photo of the Disa uniflora from Table Mountain, you will some differences. Firstly, the flowers are larger and have more triangular shape which is more open (though one had a much longer shape). The colour is also a richer bright orange-red. I much prefer this form to the Table Mountain form.

The actual plants were hidden out of sight.
disaplants.jpg

There were hidden below the Restio grasses that grew along the river bank. The were actually growing in the accumulated dead grass material. The flower stems of these Disa uniflora were also much longer and sturdier than the Table Mountain counter-arts. To take the photos I had to stand in the stream (about shin deep). At this depth the flowers came up to my chest, so they must have been about 2 and a ½ to 3 feet tall.

As far as a holiday it was quite pleasing. Porterville boast an excellent Shiraz wine, which it unfortunately exports. This is good news for you (but bad for me). The 2007 Porter Mill Station Shiraz is very very good. The Cabernet Sauvignon wasn’t bad either. And for $5 (R50) you can get a good size (almost 500 g) piece of sirloin steak to BBQ.

Kind regards

:clap: AMAZING! I'm in AWE! That's so cool - Thanks for posting Tyrone! :clap: :clap: :clap:

That is truly amazing! It is wonderful to see them in their natural habitat. Thanks for sharing! It must be the end of summer for you guys. Do they always bloom this time of year, or do they bloom all summer?

Robert

Thanks for sharing those photos, Tyrone. I've never seen photos of Disas in situ, and they're much different than I'd pictured.

Very nice!!

What was the water temperature? Some of the local Disa growers say that the plants may be in warm temperatures, but the roots are in cold water.

Great photos of in situ Disas!!! WOW! I did not think that flowers were so big!!! lol... Thanks for sharing!!!!

Hi all,

Disa uniflora blooms from mid Janurary through to about mid March depending on the location (geographical as well as orientation to the sun). The more sunny the location the sooner they bloom, but also the cooler the area the later they bloom. The Groot Winterhoek mountains are quite cool so these were blooming later. Some of these had fading flowers (due to age, not pollination). While other plants had unopened buds so there is some variation within the location as well. The different species bloom at different times. Some interesting species will be coming into bloom over the next 2 months...

Regarding water temperature. I have mild Raynaud's syndrome so cold water is particularly painful for me yet no discomfort was experienced while standing in this water. I can't give a temperature but I guess it to be in the low to mid teens degree C. I winter the water can be near freezing (and in some mountain locations it does freeze).

I think a temperature differential is more important than a precise temperature. In this way "coolness" is always being drawn up into the warmer parts of the plant. Thermodynamically speaking, the cool water reaches the leaves where it absorbs the heat from the sun and then evaporates bringing about evaporative cooling (its the heat that moves, not the "coolness"). This evaporative cooling will take place as long as their is water to evaporate. The cooler the water the more heat it can absorb. Of course, the larger the surface area the more evaportation can take place---hence my live spagnum moss idea. Living moss will allow for far more evaporation than dead moss or sand.

I hope to go see Disa uniflora in different locations next year. The Bainskloof area boasts a lovely pink and magenta form, while the Overberg has a lovely orange one. For the yellow form, you have to visit Kirstenbosch botanical garden.

Kind regards

Last edited:
TY for the info Tyrone!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics of your next year trip!!! But there is a whole year ahead...:(

Latest posts

Back