Microalgae as Biostimulants

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spes1959

Reaction score
Good evening friends, I recently read several scientific articles that talk about the use in agriculture of microalgae also called phytoplankton. They are single-celled very rich in proteins, vitamins and amino acids. Is anyone among you using them as a support for fertilization? What do you think About their use?

The company that has the Inocucor license, AlgaEnergy of Irving TX, is primarily a microalgae firm.

They sent me a 2.5-gallon jug of Surety Microalgae fertilizer. It is a 1.5-0.2-0.5 formula that is 0.3% nitrates, 0.3% urea, and 0.9% other soluble nitrogen compounds (whatever that means).

I have not seen any benefit to its use and feel that the nutrients can be applied far more easily and cheaply with traditional fertilizers.

Attachments

• Surety.jpg
    Surety.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi Ray thank you for your reply. In fact, the product in question must not replace fertilizers but give help for its richness of aminoacids vitamins and proteins. I have the data of a study conducted that show a richness much higher than other products based on brown algae

Attachments

• Schermata 2023-06-15 alle 14.35.39.png
    Schermata 2023-06-15 alle 14.35.39.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
I’m not surprised . Ascophyllum is neither a microalgae nor known for its strong stimulating effects. Based upon finished product efficacy, I’m certain Ecklonia maxima is, so I will reach out to the Kelpak folks and get their take on microalgae products.

That’s also 15-year-old data, so is the company still in business?

I certainly do not want to diminish the importance of Kelpak that I have been using for a few years following your posts And that I have introduced many Italian Orchidee enthusiasts.
with this post I just asked if anyone in this forum has experience with microalgae which according to I illustrated above have a very important load of amino acids and vitamins. I think they could be a good alternative to Kelpak in certain situations.

I don't own stock in Kelpak, but I do think it's an important ingredient in any grower's arsenal.

I found some data in an old email from Kelp Products, so put this together.
amino-acids.png

Latest posts

Back