Maxillaria tenuifolia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron-NY

Reaction score
The first of mine to bloom this year. I have a couple of different color forms of this coconut-fragrance species that hails from Mexico to Honduras. Many people find this Maxillaria easy to grow, not I.

P5260001.jpg

Mine is not blooming very well for me this year, But I reppotted it last year and thinned out allot of old growths. Growth is great, but maybe not as mature as needed for good flowering.

The weird thing is that its a huge plant in a 12" pot and only the growths on the west side (afternoon sun) of the pot are blooming.

I have two color forms also. After nearly killing one (media didn't drain well), I repotted it in coconut fiber. It took several months for it to recover, but now it is doing well. The other one is doing fine in S/H with diatomite as the media.

Very nice Ron; I have one that is dying since about 6 years :eek: ! Maybe I should have another try with a new plant. Jean
Moist, cool in winter and brighter than what most sources say. I can bloom Catts in it's light level. It does not seem to be fussy about low humidity. I have this one in a south facing greenhouse window over my kitchen sink.

mine is in bloom too :) (Yours has a better flower shape though) I guess I got lucky and it bloomed for me again. the fragrance fills my room everyday
I agree with Ron's culture too. Mine had a cool winter and was last under metal halide though it had been moved around to diff light a lot

Latest posts

Back