Masdevallia Peach Fuzz 'Golden Giant' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful, stunning flower.

I have an un-named clone of Peach Fuzz, and it too is blooming. Need to take a picture. "Must quit typing on forums, go out and take a picture".

Peach Fuzz is nice and temperature tolerant. Daytime highs with good air movement are tolerated probably up into the middle 90's, though if possible stay cooler than 95 F. If you get a sharp cooling off at night, daytime highs are not as big a problem for temperature tolerant Masdevallia. Lately my Peach Fuzz is blooming in a basement where it does not cool below 75 F for the last month or two. (basement will get cool in winter)

Quebec does cool off a little better than Washington DC at night, even when daytime highs are similar. Masdevallias will do well in an air conditioned home in the south. Choosing masdevallia for anywhere south of Saint Louis MO, can be tricky.

Hybrids are generally more temperature tolerant than species. Look for hybrids with infracta and veitchiana in the background. Peach Fuzz has vieitchiana.

Surprisingly, even though the native range of veitchiana is very high elevation it has proven to bring incredible temperature tolerance into its hybrids. Likely do to the fact that it can tolerate full sun with good air movement. High elevation sun can be quite hot.

Masd infracta is from near sea level in Pananma, and is the only Masdevallia I would recomend for a greenhouse in Atlanta or Memphis.

There are other tolerant species, but I don't know them as well.

What is "hot" in Quebec? 100+ degrees F in DC is common for the summer.

Good point. I think heat tolerance for Masdies could not be compared to heat tolerance of other orchids...

The plant is grown indoor. I said it is heat tolerant because it is the best doer amongs Masdies I'v grown under lights in the basement. I try to keep the summer day temp under 27 and nights under 20 C. But the temperature often goes to 30 C (86 F) for several weeks in the days and more than 20 C at nights. I use an air conditioner for cooling the room and it is not always successful!

By now, all my Masdies but 2 (the Peach Fuzz and another one) are outdoor. They are happier there than in the house because summer temperatures are cool here. Much cooler than in Montreal of Quebec City.

Latest posts

Back