Masdevallia laucheana

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitfox

Reaction score
Am I the only poor, deluded soul on here that isn’t smart enough to realize you can’t grow masdevallias under too warm, too dry conditions? Right there in the shade my barely-happy phrags cast? It is certainly serendipity for me that there isn’t a severe penalty for massie murder, other than a rapidly depleted plant fund...

Sometimes a hardy soul survives the torture I gleefully submit it to, and actually gives up its diva status and rewards this sad pauper...M. laucheana just threw four intricate Christmas blessings my way!

D9DB548A-16DA-4D47-94A0-C1A91F9FCC85.jpegEB2FE527-B6FA-46B2-A22E-B1219465AA19.jpeg

I have also fallen into this trap a couple of times. I have about 3 that grow well enough for my conditions but they require more care than I would prefer.

Lovely flowers like this one are the reason I delude myself on occasions.

Beautifull! And don't be too sad, I tried Masdevalia, too - and they died every one of them. I think, I gave up after 5 plants :eek:

I have about a dozen species and hybrids now that seem to be doing well after a few years, so you can only imagine how many veitchiana and coccinea I have killed along the way! 😥

I have three floribundas and they are bulletproof. as long as they don’t dry out. They are smaller, so I grow them in 2.5“ Oyama pots in sphagnum with the uptake portion of the pot filled with small perlite. Seems to keep the roots cool and simplifies watering. Otherwise I would have to water daily...

I grow lots of them in a greenhouse. That might be my big advantage at least in the cold months. I have good humidity in the winter when all of the vents are locked shut. In the summer they take bouts of heat and much lower humidity. I grow mine in net baskets with sphagnum moss. Love the little devils. You might try one in a clay pot. Or even a clay pot placed inside another clay pot.

Triangularis will grow and bloom happily under warm conditions. I have a curtipes that has been growing and blooming under warm conditions potted in acquarium gravel for 21 years. It's similar to discoidea, which will also grow warm.

I got 6 Masd from a friend who was moving to Arizona... I killed them all pretty quickly. But I do like the look of them!

Latest posts

Back