Madeira – Home of the slipper orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome photos! i went to madeira, morocco and portugal years and years ago and never saw any paphs!!

I'm with Eric. Let's ask the local inhabitants if they'd like
to be Americans. I've never seen such a lavish display of
orchids. I have seen lots of orchids outside in the summer in the south of France, but not in this profusion. WOW!

If Trump is elected, I've been looking for a place to ask
to be a refugee. This place looks perfect!

These plants came very likely from the UK some long time ago. Not everything we see for a first time is recent!:rollhappy: There are also some happily growing Phrags ... outside in the gorgeous front gardens.

the flowers which Ricky called Cattleyas are actually cymbidiums , a lot of peoples in California and southern states in the US do grow them as garden plants

Hhmmm were these grown from flask?

I don't know.
The P. insigne are growing that fast in this climate that they might use divisions.

And the best is: They are growing in heavy garden soil. No coconut husk, no bark or anything else. They are treated like usual garden plants.

I don't know.
The P. insigne are growing that fast in this climate that they might use divisions.

And the best is: They are growing in heavy garden soil. No coconut husk, no bark or anything else. They are treated like usual garden plants.

Interesting. Do you know how often they water the paphs? Some species like bellatulum (certain populations) are naturally found growing in clayey soil too.

Interesting. Do you know how often they water the paphs?

Well, it depends on the weather. :)
When it's not raining, they water them daily together with the rest of the garden (if I remember right). As I wrote before, orchids are grown there like ordinary garden plants.
I got a big pot of P. insigne as a present. It was to heavy for the airplane so I had to remove the soil. It was a wet, clayed soil.

It rains - though not lots of rain always - every other day. There is plenty of good water on Madeira, and there are several orchid vendors (and some remains of Wyld Court Orchids) and cut flower producers. You can see some fine Sobralia also.

I don't know.

Maybe we do everything wrong, after all in nature , nobody give them coconut husk or bark or anything special , whatever substrate they land on , that is where they grow .

Latest posts

Back