Lycaste hybrids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about this and the best thing that I can add is that a few people in the New England area grow them. I have seen a few at shows and at the judging table.
For what it is worth, I think that the large flowered Lycastes might like cooler temperatures. Leaves of well flowered plants have tended to be a darker green which might indicate grown in lower light, not direct sunshine. They are often seen with algae and moss growing on both the rim of the pot, the top of the media then down the sides of the pot. I believe that they like moisture which along with lower light might indicate very good humidity. Favorite media that I recall was seedling grade bark, seedling charcoal and perlite. I do not think for example, I have ever seen one is sphagnum.
Hope this helps.

I am no expert at growing lycaste but this is my Lycaste Red Jewel this is it's first bloom to open this season and it seems to always put out the first bloom several weeks before the rest. I grow this next to my grow cart so it gets morning light from the sun and the rest of the day it gets the light coming from the grow cart. I am sure it would do much better if I had a greenhouse but I grow it fine so far (had it for a little over 3 years had my first flush of blooms last year and this is going to be the 2nd years flush.

Attachments

• Lycasteredjewel.jpg
    Lycasteredjewel.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lance,
james Rose at Cal Orchids in Santa Barbra does well with Lycaste. I have always bought NBS plants and they grow well for me in lower light higher humidity part of my GH.

I do have some experience growing Lycaste species here in California, but that was back more than 50 years ago. I don't remember them being any problem but can't remember any details now.
The beautiful hybrids I see pictures of now did not exist then. I am real interested to grow them now that I'm back in California.
I am hopeful to hear how much time it takes to grow seedlings from flask to flower.
The flowers are so beautiful, why don't more people grow them?

NBS plants seem a lot easier to establish and keep going than small seedling. If you are an AOS member, the recent webinar on Lycaste is really good. Tim Culbertson touches on why Lycastes are not more widely available. Among the top reasons were that mature lycastes are large and take up too much space, high vulnerability to viruses, and required growing conditions - cool to intermediate for the skinneri types. There were also some breeding dead ends with 3N plant coming from a specific Japanese nursery. But that was decades ago. I have a few trucking along nicely. If I had space and the conditions, i would love more.

Sunset Valley Orchids maybe releasing some in the spring.

Latest posts

Back