Ludisia discolor 'Ambrosia

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

musiclovertony

I got this one in bud from Natt's Orchids at our local orchid society annual Winter Carnival. I was nervous that the buds would blast with all the transporting and transitions. All the buds but 2 have opened! One blasted, the other is about to pop open :)

The flowers are surprisingly fragrant for being so tiny!

4342353882_5be9ceb15e_b.jpg

4341614477_86fa551781_b.jpg

4341615015_8b878cf076_o.jpg

4342360138_04d13c5a04_b.jpg

Nice. I'm glad you showed the plant. It's not a regular discolor, but I don't remember the varietal name for the fragrant one.

Nice. I'm glad you showed the plant. It's not a regular discolor, but I don't remember the varietal name for the fragrant one.

'Ambrosia' is a var. nigrescens, or so I've been told, but I don't know if that is an officially recognized varietal name. I think I gave you one of these, Dot. :wink:

Thanks for the info! I was just going by what the tag read, I didn't think it looked like the Ludisia I'm used to seeing, so I had to buy it :)

'Ambrosia' is a var. nigrescens, or so I've been told, but I don't know if that is an officially recognized varietal name. I think I gave you one of these, Dot. :wink:

Yup, you did. It's doing fine. I'm just too lazy to get up and go look at the tag. :D

Hi,

To my knowledge the through Ludisia discolor discolor is the one with fragrant flowers. The plant we see more often is the dark leaved with reddish stripes Ludisia discolor dawsonianum. The flowers of the later don't smell.

My two cents.

Rob Z.

Great buy! Beautiful blooms-they look diamond dusted! I just love the fragrant,little blooms!

Latest posts

Back