Lonnie Morris, parkinsonianum & cucullata

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetmorrisart

Reaction score
Dtps. Lonnie Morris 'Nationwide' AM/AOS has a light morning fragrance, great color and branching habit (the most branching on mine yet). As with all of my phals that aren't mounted, it's potted up in an AirCone with LFSM:

dtpslonniemorris.jpg

This is a monster of a plant I have growing mounted, though I'm just showing its three flowers (last year it had two)--evening fragrant:

myparkinsonianum.jpg

Last but not least, I can't sing the praises of B. cucullata enough...if I had to narrow my collection down to ten, it would be among them--unusual, graceful flowers, strong citrus scent in the evening (a lot like Rhy. digbyana's), compact (twenty-six growths and still in a 4" wooden basket), long blooming season...

mycucullata.jpg

Argh! If I get the chance I'm going to hit my system administrators upside the head with a stuffed porcupine! Nice phal, what is LFSM?

My favorite is the cucullata too. I've got several that I've grown from flask and they haven't bloomed for me. Good job!

My cucullata blooms consistently. I've been surprised. I also have David Sanders which grows and grows but has yet to bloom!

I love cucullata....its never failed me, from late august through Sept, every year for the last 22 years. What a fragrance! Eric

Thanks, guys!

LFSM=Long Fibered Sphagnum Moss

Candace, I can’t imagine what the issue is given your skills. I guess my only questions would be, how many growths do they have and do they ever fully dry out? This one seems to like the latter for sure, and this didn't bloom till it had 5+ adult-size growths. Blasting it with light will reward you with multiple blooms per growth, which I had last summer, but it’s been somewhat shaded by a big vanda this past year. Speaking of things that don’t bloom without explanation, I have a small form of nodosa which has been annoying me for years; when in doubt the answer is more light, but I’m having a hard time accepting this given what’s bloomed in its vicinity—it does have little terete leaves though, so maybe that's still it. No way do you have a lighting issue, so they probably just need to get bigger or drier.

Possibly, if I get the bug (working on a peony piece at present). I’ve painted cucullata twice before, and both are sold, but I didn’t last year. The guy who bought the second, his partner actually got a tattoo of it...hard to go wrong with such a graceful shape.

Latest posts

Back