Quantcast

Light Meter

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
I've been poking around trying to determine which light meter to purchase.

Does anyone have any preferences?

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
Looks as if the Quantum Meters are most assuredly the best however they aren't all that affordable. All I am interested in would be a basic light meter to help me determine what kind of light I have over here to grow what kinds of orchids and where to grow them but it would be nice to have a meter that would also help me determine when to replace bulbs. I use all types of bulbs over here from metal halides to cool white fluorescents.

I searched the internet and placed an order for this light meter which was just a little bit more than what I had wanted to spend-
http://www.specialty-lights.com/716095.html

I didn't receive the light meter but received an e-mail that said they were temporarily out of stock. Now I see that the meter has been discontinued.

I've found two more that look like possibilities-
The LX-1108-NIST Lux / Footcandle Meter from this site-
http://www.dasdistribution.com/prod...ter&OVKEY=light meter plant&OVMTC=standard#LM

and the Extech EasyView Light Meter
from this site-
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=2119

Does anyone use light meters? If so, which brand do you use and do you like it?

TheLorax

Awardless studette
Reaction score
I found 22 threads out there when using the words light + meter. Most dealt with lighting requirements for specific plants while others dealt with lighting choices as opposed to features on light meters.

I think in order to get the most out of a light meter, I've got to buy one that has settings for Tungsten/Daylight, Fluorescent, Sodium, and Mercury. If I'm going to drop money on a meter, I might as well be able to use it to check all of my bulbs too. Once you want that feature, there are way too many meters out there in a wide price range. It gets to the point that it's overwhelming just picking out a lousy light meter. Thanks for steering me to that thread. I think they're using their light meters differently than how I'd like to use one I buy.

G

Grandma M

Thanks for the info. I just bought this one. So far it's all greek to me so I need to play with it to see if I can figure how to read it. I don't understand the readings.

I hope I didn't make a mistake buying it.

DT-1308 Lux/Ft-cd Drop Proof Rugged Light Meter with Backlight and Bargraph Display
• Lux Range: 40.00 / 400.0 / 4000 / 40.00kLux / 200.0kLux
• Ft-cd Range: 40.00 / 100.0 / 4000 / 30.00kFc
• Relative Mode Indicates Change in Light Levels
• Peak Mode Captures Highest Reading
• Utilizes Precision Photo Diode and Color Correction Filter
• High Accuracy of ±(5% reading + 0.5%FS)
• Min/Max and Data Hold
• Backlight for Readings in Low Light Levels
• Large LCD Display with Analog Bar graph
• Includes Deluxe Padded Zipper Carrying Case, Rugged Rubber Boot Skin Protector and Battery
• Their Price: $149.00

Special Price
Buy 1 at $109.80 ea.

Latest posts