leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
I bought this one in early flower a couple of weeks ago. Thai bred, base colour turns cream after a while.

Well, it didn't open any further and stayed a bit cupped (much unlike it's sibs back in the nursery...), and I decided to help it a bit and flopped back the petals. Suddenly I had a real flat flower with a (semi-) natural spread of 9 cm:

Best wishes, Carsten

Cheater!! Only kidding of course. Being cupped ain't all that bad! Great color in this clone....it has the "green" in the staminode. Does it have parents?

Actually, I bent over the first petal by accident, so the second didn't matter anymore. I did like it as cupped as it was.

All I know is that that batch of plants was bred in Thailand. I've seen a dozen or so in bloom and as I mentioned, the others were mostly quite flat (naturally???). Some but not all had the green spot in the staminode. They had all about the same size, but I chose this one for the colour which was about the darkest I could find.

Best wishes, Carsten

Nice, I used to try to get plants and grow them to flower myself. Bob in Albany taught me the foolishness of that move! From now on, if I can get plants in bud or bloom that's the way to go!

It is my opinion that at least the first one is a hybrid. But nice color. Thanks for the pics.

My bad. Well I should rephrase in my opinion the clone does not look like a straight species to me.

Interesting. Would you mind to go into detail?

I don't know Brachys very well. To me, godefroyae and leucochilum are varieties of one species at best, and ang-thong possibly is a hybrid population with niveum. I know that breeders in Taiwan interbreed these things as I've seen the name "godefroyae var. ang-thong" on tags, in particular in albinistic crosses.

What do you see in this one, maybe bellatulum/wenshanense? And which features exactly do you feel are weird about this one?

I haven't got a pic of the leaves, they are about 10 cm long and show the typical dark green colour with little markings I would expect from godefroyae. Flower stem is about 10-12 cm long and upright. The whole lot of plants looked rather similar. As I said, the others had less spots, all were more or less cream than plain white and most had not such a nice shape.

Input welcome.

Best wishes, Carsten

Granted, my leucochilum has not been line bred ( I feel strongly that it is wild collected) so it's not a large plant, only 10cm natural ls. The flower was small, the stem was weak (needed support) and there was no "green" in the staminode.
I notice your plant's staminode has a strange shape to it, at least, to me.
Keep in mind I'm NO expert:eek: Lance Birk made some very good points in another thread recently.

...I haven't got a pic of the leaves, they are about 10 cm long and show the typical dark green colour with little markings I would expect from godefroyae. Flower stem is about 10-12 cm long and upright. The whole lot of plants looked rather similar........Input welcome.
Best wishes, Carsten

IMHO I can't see any properties/clues in this bloom to identify it as a hybrid.
The shape of the sepals and the dorsal is rounder than with most other P. leucochilum and therefore also the shape of the entire flower. The pouch is slightly stout but still oblong and the patterns of the blotches are very intensiv - but all these things are within the variability of P. leucochilum.
Keep in mind there is a great variability in this group and breeders try to improve e.g. the flower shape by crossing selected plants. And these progenies are still P. leucochilum.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Back