Let's talk tea!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
likespaphs said:
i grow it, tried it once. too bitter for me, i think. being a one cup of coffee a day type of guy starting to drink a second cup (okay, so it's two to four shots of espresso in a cup of coffee....), if yerba's got super caffeine, i may have to learn to sweeten....
did you drink it with the straw with the little holes at the bottom?

LOL. No. I am a wuss and tried a blend from rishi tea. Actually two blends. Spoon into a tea envelope and steep. :p Still tasted bitter (though perhaps I could acquire that taste too) but I was not prepared for the headache.

likespaphs said:
did y'all check out the very bottom of Pine Ridge Orchids' page? lots of tea stuff, i haven't read it so i don't know how it is... WARNING: this page is very picture intensive!!! (so many photos broadband takes a while to load it...)

no kidding, takes time to load. But a nice little write up and I admit I was cackling over the teaware. If I ditched my teaware, I would have space for several dozen more pleuros..... :rollhappy:

gore42 said:
lol :)

Thanks, I've think I learned something new, if you're saying that one of your teas contains tea but no caffeine. I didn't know that it was technologically possible yet to decaffeinate tea completely (and still retain any of the flavor).

No, the one blend, Clouded Forest, that contains black tea does contain a small amount of caffeine. I was not saying all our blends are caffeine free but rather that they are not a source of caffeine for addicts.
We added the black tea to the blend to add a certain flavor.
You are correct the decaffeinating process does not remove all of the caffeine.

Anyway, my British family owned a tea estate in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) from the late 19th century until the mid 20th, and in the family tradition I've learned a bit about the tea industry and the science behind tea. I think that calling just ANY herbal infusion "tea" is simply a botanical mistake. Of course you're right, most people call water with stuff (usually herbs, but not always) in it "tea", and since word definitions are subject to the tyrrany of the majority, there's no doubt that this confusion in our lexicon will be legitimized by Webster or the OED at some point, if it hasn't already happened. But just because it happens doesn't mean that I have to accept it :)

I agree with you Matt. It would be far less confusing if "tea" were "tea".
Traditions always come to an end or at least evolve with new generations.
They change orchid names like they are a dime a dozen so why not change the meaning of tea?

Latest posts

Back