Latest Fcc Paph -hadley Does It Again!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Slipperhead

The Virginia Orchid Society had its annual show in Richmond, VA this past weekend. For the second year in a row at our show, one of Hadley Cash's plants earned an FCC!!!

The plant scored 90pts and you may be able to read the dimensions and description on the award sheet.

CONGRATULATIONS to Hadley and Marriott Orchids!

Garland

2010VOSShow013-2.jpg

2010VOSShow009-1.jpg

Judge Gordon Slaymaker from the National Capital Judging Center describes the plant on hotel stationery before copying on award form.
2010VOSShow005-1.jpg

Hadley's Sales Booth-Note empty tables behind him....and this was on Saturday with another day of sales to go!
2010VOSShow005-3.jpg

Two of our show Attendees!
2010VOSShow004-2.jpg

Not bad but not spectacular by any means. At least from the pic and measurements. Makes me question how many similar brachy complex hybrids or bellatulum complex hybrids like this those judges have seen. Thanks for the pic.

Not bad but not spectacular by any means. At least from the pic and measurements. Makes me question how many similar brachy complex hybrids or bellatulum complex hybrids like this those judges have seen. Thanks for the pic.

I definitely agree with that assessment. To me, that flower is just not screaming "FCC", in fact it is not even whispering it. The leaves looks a tad droopy too but I guess that doesn't figure in to anything.

e-spice

Last edited:
My first glance at the photo, I'd have to agree. my mind went huh?, because of the top view. I would want that dorsal higher

It is a large bloom though, and the spots evenly dispersed. not bad! This is a single growth plant too.

But Congratulations :) (someone cut the spike off...the leaves are dehydrated)

I have to throw in my two cents of agreement with others. High quality photos could help. Garland must of not had the opportunetly to do so.

i agree with all of you guys. from the photo, stats, etc. thats not an FCC. but it maybe had the "its a show, lets do it" mode going...

I just don't see it. Maybe it's the judges, maybe it's that they figured it was his and that leant more weight to it, but I just don't see it as FCC material. I often shake my head on wonder at awards.

But then I have a very negative view of judging after my experiences here with all the misfeasance, malfeasance and general lack of orchid knowledge of our judges in my region. Just had my Paph.insigne v.sanderianum (previously posted here) go unnoticed at a show's judging despite it's being larger than any previously awarded and having great shape.

Then of course there was the time a judge was overheard remarking about my then-extremely-rare but properly (and visibly) labelled and entered Paph.curtisii album at our MAOC in 2001 "Oh, that's a nice Maudiae" !!

Only two of many examples; both plants would undoubtedly have been awarded in another jurisdiction in front of knowledgeable judges.

More:

And another judge heard to remark over a plant brought in for judging by another judge "Well, she went to the trouble of bringin it in - we should give it something" !! So they gave the plant with fewer flowers, poorer form and smaller flowers than those previously awarded in the grex an award.

And of course there was the phrag hybrid I sent in. Passed over, but I found four in the AQ awarded at later dates at other centers with smaller flowers and inferior shape and color, and no more flowers than mine.

And..."Well, it has a clonal name on the (handwritten, in pencil) tag so it's obviously been awarded before but I can't find it in the AQ so we can't do anything with it until we find it's other award" !!!

And another winner, used on several occasions when a previously-unawarded species was presented: Well, we doon't have anything on it; bring it back when it's gotten some awards in the AQ." !! Which, of course, abdicates responsibility for judging it and negates the possibility of aCBR in the future as it can only go it once. Afraid and uninformed.

I keep hoping our juding center will close and we can get one with fair, knowledgeable judges so people in this regiion can have a shot at getting their plants awarded appropriately.

And of course any criticism is met with arrogance and haughtiness and the implication that a judge by default knows more about orchids than I (or any non-judge) do. Yet I often have to identify plants on the showtable for (AOS) judges who don't know what it is or what group it goes in.

I'd say "don't get me started," but - too late! :)

god that sounds horrible. dare i ask what center this is all going on at?

Pretty paph, luckily I'm thoroughly ignorant of awards and how one is obtained. The dorsal sepal does look a bit cupped and the overall appearance of the flower is pretty, but not spectacular, at least to my eyes.

The pups are really cute. They'd love them here in Japan - The Land of Cute.

But the problem is that judges would have to know everything about orchids, and no one can possibly know everything. I think they do their best. Every orchid grower has their special area of knowledge and they will always keep up with their favorite genera, while their knowledge about the other orchids lag behind (don't make me talk about Oncidiums as I know nothing :p)

I think that they just to be more careful about FCCs

god that sounds horrible. dare i ask what center this is all going on at?
Cincy

But the problem is that judges would have to know everything about orchids, and no one can possibly know everything. I think they do their best.

I don't think they do. Of course, some do. But...read back over my post. Only some of those were examples of lack of knowledge (and in all cases there were teams of judges present...how could not ONE have the requisite knowledge to spot award-potential flowers??) The other examples are of hubris, bad judgement, deliberate malfeasance. Unfortunately, as one of my associates has said, for some judges the judging is 'the' thing some of them have, their gate to feelings of importance and self-worth, some 'status'. In that sort of situation, there's very little room for sound judgement, impartiality, or clarity in evaluation. It's hard to see the plants when the ego is so large it's blocking the view.

I need to add that I do know a few of judges who are competent and have a fair mindset. I can't say how successful they are at swaying other judges however. I'm not saying all judges are screwed up, but there sure seem to be a lot of them here.

Back