Lady Slipper Rash?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rash from Cyp. reginae

On page 85 of Fred Case's book "Orchids of the Western Great Lakes Region" he has a caution at the top of the page warning of exactly this. I personally don't have a sensitivity to them (I've taken pictures of them in-situ) but find it a good idea to carry Fels Napha soap with me when visiting the bog as poison sumac grows there as well. When you're getting stuck in the muck you'll grab on to anything!

Keep up the good work with the excellent photos, Dot!

Thanks, Paphluvr! Welcome to Slippertalk. Why not tell us a little about you and your collection in the "Greetings" section?

On page 85 of Fred Case's book "Orchids of the Western Great Lakes Region" he has a caution at the top of the page warning of exactly this. I personally don't have a sensitivity to them (I've taken pictures of them in-situ) but find it a good idea to carry Fels Napha soap with me when visiting the bog as poison sumac grows there as well. When you're getting stuck in the muck you'll grab on to anything!

Keep up the good work with the excellent photos, Dot!

My mother still keeps a bar of Fels Naptha on hand for spot treating her laundry.
I thought she was the only remaining person in the world to use it! :wink:

I've got some of that liquid soap you can either put on your hands before going outside, or wash with if you've 'gotten into something'. just a little further south from here the poison sumac trees are happy in the calcareous fens... at least those trees, the leaf petioles are bright red.... though if you brush firmly against one when there aren't any leaves out you will still get the rash

My mother still keeps a bar of Fels Naptha on hand for spot treating her laundry.
I thought she was the only remaining person in the world to use it! :wink:

I have a bar of Fels Naptha in my green house, and one in my laundry. When I used to grow roses, I would grate a bar, put it into a jar, fill it with water until it dissolved into a paste. Then I'd scoop out about a teaspoonful and dissolve it in a gallon of water and spray it on the roses. It helped control blackspot and powdery mildew. My husband's grandmother told me this trick.

I have a bar of Fels Naptha in my green house, and one in my laundry. When I used to grow roses, I would grate a bar, put it into a jar, fill it with water until it dissolved into a paste. Then I'd scoop out about a teaspoonful and dissolve it in a gallon of water and spray it on the roses. It helped control blackspot and powdery mildew. My husband's grandmother told me this trick.
I'll have to remember this! Tea Roses are another passion of mine. I hope to grow them again someday. :)

Latest posts

Back