Label Pen - Recommendation

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Orchid Iconoclast
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in either laser-printed or Brother P-Touch labels for my plants, but a lot of us like to hand-write stuff like dates of flowering or repotting, bloom stats, etc., on them.

I used to be able to get "Pilot Photographic Pens" (intended to write on prints) for a couple bucks each, and they were better even than the Sharpie Industrial markers. Unfortunately, they are no longer manufactured.

I contacted Pilot, and they sent me some samples of an "art pen" - labeled as "Pilot ultra fine point permanent type NO XYLENE SCA-UF". I wrote on a plastic label, and stuck it out in direct exposure to all-day sun and whatever Mother nature dumps on it.

SCA-UF.jpg

After 3 months, I see absolutely no fading from the black ink. (The green was mostly gone in 3 weeks.)

I tend to use a Sharpie to write on the label. And then I place a second blank label over it and place the two of them together in the pot. That way, I know the sun won't fade the written label. I go through twice as many labels, but I'd rather not have any faded and unreadable labels for my plants.

over 20 years using a 5mm pencil with hb lead. Never lost a letter. Can't say the same for the plants.

I use a pencil on my labels but also have all of my plants labeled by # that is also put on the label as wll as in a log. Then I use a pilot gold marker with an extra fine point to write the # on my pots. I assume that the silver ones would work just as good. This works great on dark pots but not so well on the clear ones. This way when I lose a label I can still locate the identy and write a new label.

I use wax pencils on the pot.... I'm too cheap to buy labels for pots!!! LOL

Thanks for the tip Ray! I'll keep an eye out for them for the plants I do use labels on.

over 20 years using a 5mm pencil with hb lead. Never lost a letter. Can't say the same for the plants.

Now that is funny :rollhappy: I don't even want to consider counting all the labels of, ah, parted friends...:eek:

I have a real problem with fade in this hot, wet climate, particularly with labels in the sun.

Back