• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to SlipperTalk Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

kovachii lovers

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well there is only 1 bidder though so it has to be that they kept bidding to get above the reserve

I've never bought or sold anything on Ebay; so, I'm not sure how the bidding works. But, it occurs to me that if there was a reserve, why would the biddeer need to keep bidding to get above the reserve? Why wouldn't his first bid be above the reserve, negating the need for further bids? Is it because the seller keeps raising the reserve? That seems kinda unfair.:confused:

^ ^
No, that's not how eBay works. A seller could start an auction with an opening bid of say $1 but place a Reserve Price of $75. The bidder would have no idea what the Reserve Price would be, so he just bids until the price gets too high or he finally gets above the Reserve Price. I'm sure that is what happened in this case. So why would a seller do this? Who knows. I'm sure there are lots of reasons. I just don't know what they could be.

^ ^
No, that's not how eBay works. A seller could start an auction with an opening bid of say $1 but place a Reserve Price of $75. The bidder would have no idea what the Reserve Price would be, so he just bids until the price gets too high or he finally gets above the Reserve Price. I'm sure that is what happened in this case. So why would a seller do this? Who knows. I'm sure there are lots of reasons. I just don't know what they could be.

Thanks for the explanation. But, why wouldn't the seller let bidders know what the reserve price is;.....and how does the bidder know when he gets above the reserve price?

I take back my words, if it is Dennis who is selling, it is probably a legit plant with legal CITES paper work.

I asked him how he got the plant, and what the parents were. He answered that he bought it from Peruflora, but does not know what the parents are. If it is from Peruflora, it is a legal plant.

Robert

You are correct in the correction.:D however, it is not "probably" , it is definitely legal.
Dennis' kovachii are very legal, and the same are true for many of his kovachii hybrids.
I need no proof, because Peru-flora fowarded his export permit paper work to the wrong person :)evil:) Guess whom the paper work went to.
By the way, Dennis is a really nice person.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation. But, why wouldn't the seller let bidders know what the reserve price is;.....and how does the bidder know when he gets above the reserve price?

It is not that the seller wants to hide the Reserve price. He/she only feels that at certain price it is too low (personal consideration) a loss. So the reserve price is put in there, so that there is no obligation to give away his/her merchandise.
Once, a bidder passes that point the object is no longer in reserve, the price can still get much higher with many bidders compete for the same thing.
In this particular case, only one bidder, so the price does not go up further after the reserve price is reached.
The seller does not put a "buy it now price" (instead of reserve) because the price is fixed at that level, where as with the reserve (also a fixed numer), many bidders can bring the final bid number much higher.

Last edited:
If there is a Reserve Price on an auction, it will say "Reserve Not Met" in red letters up until the time that it is met by a high enough bid. I don't often see reserves on most orchids up for auction, but a rare or highly-desireable plant will often include a Reserve Price.

I started watching this one as soon as I saw it listed, Dennis didn't have a reserve on this plant. It started at 79.99 & if the person that won it puts a max bid of $500.00 & someone bids $250.00 it wouldn't show up. It would show a automatic bid of $251.00 made by the person that put the $500.00 max bid in the first place.

I started watching this one as soon as I saw it listed, Dennis didn't have a reserve on this plant. It started at 79.99 & if the person that won it puts a max bid of $500.00 & someone bids $250.00 it wouldn't show up. It would show a automatic bid of $251.00 made by the person that put the $500.00 max bid in the first place.
This must be a new policy change for ebay then. All previous bidding always showed the number of bidders

if some one else had bid then it would have shown there were more than 1 bidder....and also the other persons bid would have shown in the bid history...perhaps the only thing that would prevent that from happening is if the person was bidding and keeping their identity a secret but even then I would think a bid would show up in the history just no info on the bidder....I have seen in the past where bids have been listed in the bid history as identity secret or private or something but the bid still showed and the history showed more than 1 bidder

I'm happy with my $100.00 seedling that I got last year from Piping Rock. I'm patient. I don't buy much from ebay, but had a bid on a Dendrobium harveyanum recently. I wasn't home when it closed out. I lost by a dollar. :(I really want one of those, too!

I'm happy with my $100.00 seedling that I got last year from Piping Rock. I'm patient. I don't buy much from ebay, but had a bid on a Dendrobium harveyanum recently. I wasn't home when it closed out. I lost by a dollar. :(I really want one of those, too!

we share same story. :)

Latest posts

Back