kolopakingii x stonei at my place

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a kolopakingii x stonei first bloom seedling about 7 years out of flask. The plant has a leaf span of 32 inches and the flowers are about 7 inches top to bottom. The cross has amplified 2 less desirable attributes of these species. The pouch is tipped up too far and the dorsal sepal is cast forward too far. That said, it is an eye catching display and I will probably keep it.

Mike

Quite nice; but, I see what you mean about the pouch and the dorsal. The staminode really favours the stonei parent. I like that.

BTW: It is a very well grown plant....BRAVO!

Fabrice

I can see why you might think so, but I have bloomed several from this flask and all of the others have shown more kolo influence, especially the dorsal sepal, plant size and flower count. Also, I think these flowers are larger than platyphyllum flowers, but to be honest, I don't have one for comparison.

Mike

Or, are you suggesting, jokingly of course, that this could be passed off as an expensive platyphyllum?

Last edited:
Mike, It's a very nice bloom.

I compared it to platyphyllum because in my opinion, platyphyllum is not a real specie but the primary hybrid stonei x kolopakingii.
Not scientific explanation, just a feeling when I'm looking for any bloom labelled "platyphyllum". (some have more kolo, some have more stonei and some are a balanced mix)

The cross has amplified 2 less desirable attributes of these species. The pouch is tipped up too far and the dorsal sepal is cast forward too far.

Mike
g[/IMG][/URL]

Yes, it is a pity about that. The dorsal barely makes it up at all. Great hybrid otherwise. Looks like it will be a monster plant in the end and take up a lot of bench space. Worth a reflowering but I wonder long term whether this is worth keeping. I can put up with species having dorsals like this but not so much hybrids.

I know it's not technically good form to have the dorsal sepal flex over the pouch, but that doesn't matter to me. One size fits all (or one shape in this case) doesn't really work out for paphs, with so many shapes and variations. Personally, I like the way it holds the sepal and pouch. I think it's got the best of both parents.

To me it looks like the long lost plant of Paph stonei var platytaenium Rchb.f 1867!:D
Seriously, it is very attractive. At least it didn't pickup on the "sometimes rolled edges" of the dorsal as many kolos will do. Paph platyphyllum even does that as well.

Back