Jade Lauren Whales

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labskaus

Reaction score
This one slipped thru the other day. First blooming seedling of this great cross. I hope the aberrant staminode and eroded Petals and dorsal are a temporary issue. Otherwise it has great, plain white colour with just some very fine peppering on the rim of the pouch. Substance is outstanding, and it is still flowering since before Christmas.

20100407-155518-573.jpg

This is such an exciting direction in crosses; one of the parents in this is White Knight, which is understandable...the other parent is Christmas Snow, which is an incredibly interesting hybrid.

The reason why it's so interesting to me is that it is the result of pollen saving. One of its grandparents is the summer-blooming Albion, which is heavily infuenced by niveum, and is something everyone should have in their collections. Basically, Christmas Snow results from the typical line of breeding whites, just tweaked a little - instead of F.C. Puddle - type whites crossed with greens, it's an Albion - white crossed with a heavy-substanced pure yellow (from Bordube 'Eau De Nil', if you recall my previous post). I think that using Albion and heavy-substance yellows could add fertility back to whites. And then on top of that you could eventually get summer-blooming complexes. I have to admit during the summer I do get tired of looking at all the "lettuce" in my greenhouse...

In any event a most interesting cross...some really special clones there; yes they're small, but they have good form and they may well be fertile...

Nice blossom, for me JLW is the great white of the last 20 years for the quality / beauty of the shape, texture and whiteness. It has not the size of Mystic Knight but the beauty is not linked with the size.I have 4 JLW at home 3 unflowered seedlings and one selected division from Ratcliffe.

It is very difficult to have JLW from them now...

Amond the 3 one is particularly interesting for the leaves very large and thick.
They grow well but are not fast growers, could you share your experience ?

Attachments

• JLW2010 003.jpg
    JLW2010 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
  • JLW2010 002.jpg
    JLW2010 002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 23
  • JLW2010 001.jpg
    JLW2010 001.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 16
don't know...I have to assume Ratcliffe's is probably not using 'Wyld Court'...since for a time that was a pretty big competitor...

The two clones are so similar...and since they are essentially primaries, I doubt there's much difference.

Another paph that blooms for me quite frequently in the summer is Paeony 'Regency'...what an interesting, summer-blooming corollary to a Lady Luck-ish hybrid that would make...

Ratcliffes had Albion FCC/RHS on their latest division list, that may well be the clone they used.
Tim, thanks a lot for your thoughts on this cross! Very much appreciated. You are far more kowledgable than I am. I checked the parentage with the RHS at the time (didn't own Orchidwiz then) and found its pedigree interesting and different. Plus, it is quite a task to find any decent white breeding here.

Flower size is 10 cm on this first bloom. That's not big, but could be worse. Substance, as you indicated, is great and I'm happy with the shape as well. Weren't there those erosions... I'm not going to try its fertility on this flower.

paworsport, my plant looks essentially like your middle one. Not a weed, but rather a slow grower. Took me two years to flower it.

thanks Carsten for your answer.

For your information I know that Philippe Lecoufle has a big bunch of paph Albion in his greenhouse. It is not an awarded plant but made in the same time in France by his father or grand father. Flower are very close of Wild Court.

I would be most interested to poke around in the Vacherot greenhouses; I bet there are all sorts of historic treasures in there. For example, I wonder what Astarte was used to make that strain of Albion...I'm sure the niveum is not with us anymore...

Hi Tim,

in fact there is a lot of interesting things in the Philippe Lecoufle's paph greenhouse. I saw a lot of old complex paph from last century, obtained by Lecoufle or by English nurseries.

It is difficult to have a global list of that paph because PL don't sell often the plants. You need to know him and ask again and again and at this point he opens the door of the greenhouse and you could spend 20 mn with him to choose one or two paph divisions. I take picture every time but scarcely because he don't love that.

I recently bough a small division of Albion and a division of a paph named Sully (P. Colombus x P. L'Yser) wich is a complex with incredible spotted patterns and shape (Lhyser has no parentage in the sander list). He has great green too and a lot of pink complexs : Rosario, Aladin etc....

I have pics to share but to big for the forum. If you are interested please send me your email address

The reason that this cross turned out so white is that white knight 'full moon' was used. It creates very white flowers. Look at MK 'snow fox'. There are many "pure" white crosses but the difficult thing to achieve is the size. I would have to disagree and say MK is still king. How white the MK is depends on the White Knight clone used. MK babies are also turning out very nice. Still LDW is a very nice cross. Thanks for the pic

IMG_2199-1.jpg

Are there particular Mystic Knights that breed? Is there a parent White Knight that allows more fertility in its offspring?

They are reluctant breeders. Try and if you don't succeed try try again. :)

Wahoo superb flower ! It is very nice. Is it a reluctant breeder as pod parent and pollen donnor ?

I've got one division from Sam bit it was made I think at the beginnng of the cross...:clap:

Back