Irrigation pump?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that hose length and diameter, as well as relative elevation to the water in the tank, will all affect the output rate and pattern.

eggshells, I'll try when I get some time. The hose is short, less than 25ft, and I think it is the typical garden hose (not the fatter one), I think the flow rate is similar to a typical faucet. From my understanding, this kind of utility/transfer pumps can't create a higher pressure, but for watering plants, it seems to be ok even with the mist nozzle. I personally think that I would be ok with a lower power pump like what Ray suggested.

Ray, do you think this set up will work with Dosmatic or Dosatron? Is 0.5-1gpm too low for the injector? It's indoor, so I can't quite use the higher rate (not enough storage tank and too much trouble to deal with the waste water).

I never had a problem with water flow/output. I used a standard garden hose from the pump to the sink (20-30' depending on which barrel I was using). I tried several different nozzles until I found the spray I liked. The level of water in the barrel never affected the amount of pressure of what came out the spray nozzle.

I never had a problem with water flow/output. I used a standard garden hose from the pump to the sink (20-30' depending on which barrel I was using). I tried several different nozzles until I found the spray I liked. The level of water in the barrel never affected the amount of pressure of what came out the spray nozzle.

Wendy, do you have a link or model of your favorite?

Wendy, do you have a link or model of your favorite?

No, sorry I don't. It's been over two years since I dismantled the setup. I still have the pump and hose but the nozzle somehow disappeared during the move to our new home. I'll check out nozzles online and see if I can find it. I think it was a Gardena with three of four different settings but my memory isn't that great....I used it for so long that I stopped 'seeing' what brand it was.

Nice thanks naoki. It's pretty good actually. I have been using the same setup. but nozzle is Dramm 750 pl. I just purchase the 150pl and that Brass nozzle. I want more soak without allowing more water. These really helped a lot. Very much appreciated.

P.S the 1/4 hp pump can still pump over 50 foot of hose with about 6 feet of lift. but no nozzle attached. I was pumping the water that I used for orchids to water the garden plants. I pumped it from basement to another rain barrel. in the garden.

I admit that I have a nozzle fetish but just because Im trying to find what works best.

750PL_DRAMM_BREAKER-300x200.jpg

thumbnail.asp

51xmOxnPCXL._SY355_.jpg

I have a few more but the second one is my favourite.

Hi Naoki,

We've use this submersible utility pump for years with good results. It has std garden hose thread and we hook it up to 25' of 1/2" garden hose, using a 'Wonderwaterer' watering wand at the discharge end. We irrigate from a 55 gal plastic barrel. Noise level is low enough to be used indoors and the price is $ 89.95 at Ace Hardware.

Last edited:
A bit of update. I've been using the utility pump for a while, and it is well worth it. It's a great time-saver. I finally got the fertilizer injector. I haven't tested thoroughly (e.g how even the dilution is at the super low flow rate of 0.5-1gpm), but this is another great time saver. I now want multiple injectors!

p2131200-jpg.31608

I went with Dosatron D25RE2 from QC Supply ($287.50) after some help from OrchidsForum people. I also got Rusco Spin Down Filter 250 mesh from QC ($50.56). Then the CPVC connectors etc costed around $80 or so from HomeDepot. It is a bit expensive, but this will make my life easier.

One thing I didn't know is that it makes some noise (clunk clunk ...).

That clunk can be a nice security blanket; if you're applying fert, fungicides etc and it keeps clunking you know you're okay; if it slows or stops you have to check it out because it's not applying correctly

The other injector company with black case often they keep clunking while not drawing, not letting you know your rates are off and incorrect application :(

Elmer Nj

Latest posts

Back