Interesting variation in barbigerum buds

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you know (because you own seedlings of this cross), I did a barbigerum cross, using a regular barbigerum and a barbigerum fma. aureum. Because barbigerum fma. aureum has seemed to be relatively rare, I assumed that the yellow color would most likely be recessive, with all the F1 generation looking like normal barbigerum, but carrying the aureum gene. A second cross would then be necessary to produce the desired stronger growing fma. aureums. I posted the first to bloom a while back and the result was as expected.
PaphbarbigerumHalfA1plant.jpg

Several more have now formed buds, and there is an interesting difference, leading me to suspect I might have been mistaken about the recessive quality of the aureum gene(s). Time will tell when the buds open. Any comments are welcome!

Paphbarbigerumdarkplant.jpg

Paphbarbigerumlightplant.jpg

The second looks album Ross. Is that what you are seeing?
OOOO - Exciting! That would be my guess too!
Mine has a new start & I'm not sure if it's a new leaf or a bud on the old growth. There's a part of me that would like it to be a bud, but it would probably be better to have it a leaf so that 2nd growth can come in.

Thanks for posting that. I am fascinated with all the info and await patiently to see what mine decide to do.

Ooo, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the update on this! Interesting!

Ross, how much of the breeding history of the regular color form parent do you know? Is it possible that that one already had an album in its background as well that's causing some of the offspring to be album?

The only thing I recall is that I purchased the plant from Tom Kalina quite a few years ago. It unfortunately died not long after I harvested the seed from this cross. Being inexperienced, I may have overused the plant, not giving it a sufficient break between pollinations.

You pollenated it to death! What a stud! :evil:

Seriously, I'm not really a species person but if you have one of these albums I'm interested! :D

Back