how to tell if phrag is in bud?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merc

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have never bloomed a phrag before. do they have the same chunky lump in the middle if you lightly pinch the crown like paphs do? trying to figure out the phrag "tell". much appreciated!

I often squeeze gently if I come across paphs for sale that might be budding up. unless you mash on them you aren't causing a bit of harm. note I said "feel" initially. not squeeze.

thank you so much for the great examples!

the feel of the phrag crown is a lot more rigid and substantial compared to that of a paph. i admittedly give my bloom size paphs a gentle feel for bud formation almost every time i water. it's become part of my weekly watering and inspection ritual and is oddly satisfying. i think the rigidity of the phrag crown threw me off. i thought i had a spike, but really it's just the difference between paphs and phrags since there's no double center leaf just yet. ☹️

thank you so much for the great examples!

the feel of the phrag crown is a lot more rigid and substantial compared to that of a paph. i admittedly give my bloom size paphs a gentle feel for bud formation almost every time i water. it's become part of my weekly watering and inspection ritual and is oddly satisfying. i think the rigidity of the phrag crown threw me off. i thought i had a spike, but really it's just the difference between paphs and phrags since there's no double center leaf just yet. ☹️
As somebody who obsessively peers into the cracks of the leaves in the depths of my phrag growths, I feel you! 😂

Back