HO T5 instead of HPS?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I gow under light in the basement. I have a 1000W HPS and many T5 bulbs for shelves.

In summer, the HPS 1000 W is very hot, even if I extract the hot air and even if I use air conditionner. And I must add a « shade screen ».

So I decided to light the plant with an other system in Summer. The orchids are less than 60 cm tall (Dendrobium nobile) and most are smaller (Tolumnias, a few Cattleyas, etc.). So I first thought about using a digital ballast with a dimmer for a 600 to 1000 W bulb. But someone told me that, altough digital ballasts are running a bit cooler than magnetic and can be dimmed, I may still experience heat issues. So he suggests a Sun Blaze T5 High Output Fluorescent Grow Light 4ft 4 Lamp

http://www.bustan.ca/product_detail.asp?menuID=4&SID=24&PID=1098

The growing area is of course less than for such a system than for a 1000 W HPS (1 ft by 4 ft). But I think this growing area is for sun loving plant like « tomatoes », so the leaves must be very close to the bulb. But I never used HO T5 so I am not sure if it can useful for a growing area of 48inches wide and 70 inches long.

What do you think about it?

I have something similar. I can bloom high light multiflorals under it. The growing area is 6' x 4'. I don't have a lot of other generalist I'm use they can bloom too. If you are worried that they wouldn't get enough light. You can increase the duration.

You might need 2 of the 4 bulb units to cover 48" X 70". I bloom catts and tolumnias under T5HO lights with no problem. They do put some heat out, but not excessive. You can touch the top of the fixture with no problem.

Bill

I keep the tolumnias at 6-8 in. and lower them as the flower spike grows. The spike will get up to touching the bulbs but they don't seem to be harmed by that.
The SLC catts are 8-10 in. from the top of the leaves to the bulb.
I keep the lights on a 12 hr on, 12 hr off cycle.

Bill

I have a few plants too growing under that kind of light system and they're doing very great. But it does give out some heat..Like they've said, I wouldn't get my plants closer than 8-12 inches from the bulbs.. Even though they are fluos, one must not forget that it still gives 20 000 lux (4fluos x 5000 each)... so it gets relatively warm ...

hot5g.jpg

and if it's not enough or you want to add a few more plants, you can add more as they sell single HOT5 5 000 lux fluos ,.. ( in the back on the right of the pic)

piececulture1.jpg

They sell those in Montreal at hydroculture Guy Dionne (4bulbs $250.00, single $50.00)

:)

I have a few plants too growing under that kind of light system and they're doing very great. But it does give out some heat..Like they've said, I wouldn't get my plants closer than 8-12 inches from the bulbs.. Even though they are fluos, one must not forget that it still gives 20 000 lux (4fluos x 5000 each)... so it gets relatively warm ...

hot5g.jpg

and if it's not enough or you want to add a few more plants, you can add more as they sell single HOT5 5 000 lux fluos ,.. ( in the back on the right of the pic)

piececulture1.jpg

They sell those in Montreal at hydroculture Guy Dionne (4bulbs $250.00, single $50.00)

:)

I like your grow setup!!

Ça me fait plaisir Ery :)

Between work, school and watering my ever growing Phrag. collection, I don't have much time (and energy) left to stop en enjoy the forum as much as I'd like too (excuses, excuses,..lol) ... Anyway, since I solely grow under fluos, I had to comment on your query.

Thanks Justin. I like to keep it practical and at eye level :) ... well except for the lower shelf with the miscellaneous stuff (man, I can't believe that I get on my knees to water those..lol)

Latest posts

Back