Hey from Memphis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fbrem

Hi all, been posting for a while without introducing myself, how rude. Anyway, I'm pretty new to orchiding, in my fourth year now. Got hooked while doing amphibian research in the mountains of western and central Panama, searched every downed tree branch I came across, lots of Stelis. As of now I grow about 50 spp. and 20 hybrids, all outdoors in summer and in a wrapped in porch (jungle) in the winter, and some carnivores, mostly in my bog garden. I love variety and can find a reason to keep just about any orchid I can get my hands on. Only a few slippers (Paph. roebellini 'Greenlace x self, Paph. moquettianum, 2 Lowe's Maudiae types, and an nice unknown Cochlo x Brachy cross (Walnut Valley or similar), Paph. Golddollar, Phrag. Grande 'Macrochilum' AM/AOS, and a Phrag. Eric Young that has not grown for 2 years) but I don't have great conditions for most, too darn hot in the summer. Any suggestions for any that can take the heat well, I mean really well. Really like the forum, fun to read and drool over all the awesome plants shown, great work to all involved, keep it up for all of us vicarious orchideers.

Forrest

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting background, fbrem. You've found out it doesn't take much to get hooked on collecting orchids. You are right at home here.

Welcome Forrest! You're at the right place! Most of the multis take the heat.

Howdy Forrest, come on over and check out my orchids and I'll cook you a steak!

Hi Forrest!

Nice to meat you. :)

I'm in my fourth year too and boy, a lot has changed since I started! Both for me and the plants. I now have conditions too cold, so I understand your conundrum!

That 'Greenlace' -fabulous clone -I had one and it was wonderful! Keep it! It's an easy grower, should do fine for you...let me know if you want more info and I can pull a CD and check on what I did, but better yet, check with Marilyn LaDoux in Labadie, MO, she's a bit more south than I so might have more apropos culture advice.

Again, welcome to STF!!! :)

Welcome Forrest! You're at the right place! Most of the multis take the heat.

Welcome. I'm just a piece down the road in Nashville, and agree that most of the multis are more heat resistant.

Philipinnense is one of the toughest in this respect.

Another good one for heat is druryi. There are several good growers right there in Memphis. I also came out a year or so ago and gave a presentation on Paphs to your society.

Charles Wilson is coming to our society this month to talk about this springs trip to Borneo!:clap::clap:

Welcome. I'm just a piece down the road in Nashville, and agree that most of the multis are more heat resistant.

Philipinnense is one of the toughest in this respect.

Another good one for heat is druryi. There are several good growers right there in Memphis. I also came out a year or so ago and gave a presentation on Paphs to your society.

Charles Wilson is coming to our society this month to talk about this springs trip to Borneo!:clap::clap:

Cool, just joined the society this year. Charles is a really nice guy and great grower, should be fun.

Back