Help ID: Brown Blotchy Spots on Leaves

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

It began as a mild brown splotching near the tip of the leaf. The spots have since filled in and now cover the majority of the leaf and appear to be working their way down.

If I had any sense, I would have taken and posted pictures before it got to this point. On the bright side, I have a sukkakuli that is sending up a bud! Just trying to cheer myself up a bit...

100_4166.jpg

Some sort of infection. Either way, bacterial or fungal, I'd snip that bit off and a little into the normally colored leaf bits and dust the wound with cinnamon. There's not much healthy stuff left on that leaf, so cut soon!

-Ernie

Some sort of infection. Either way, bacterial or fungal, I'd snip that bit off and a little into the normally colored leaf bits and dust the wound with cinnamon. There's not much healthy stuff left on that leaf, so cut soon!

-Ernie

Exactly my thought! And then watch it to be sure it doesn't spread.

Exactly my thought! And then watch it to be sure it doesn't spread.

Yep. A vigilent eye makes sure the crown's dry. And not brown. Errr something. Give me a break, I'm tired- squishing seven days' work into three this week.

-Ernie

using hydrogen peroxide dripped around the crown after you've pulled that leaf off would help, too. that's helped alot with some phals that got crown rot and it zipped most of the wet bad stuff or spores that might be hanging around

when that happens to bottom leaves on a paph for me and they are dry and brown, it usually means that there are mealybugs down on the bottom of that growth hiding (though this looks more like the infection type of brown)

Has the plant been exposed to sudden chills or change in temperatures? It might help to make a thick paste of cinnamon and spread it on the cut instead of just sprinkling it. You can store the rest of the cinnamon paste in a small jar!

Most bacterial infections have yellow borders so that would be my conclusion. I would treat it the same if it was mine - cut off - put cinnamon paste on it. (cinnamon Paste = Cinnamon + elmers glue)

Most bacterial infections have yellow borders so that would be my conclusion. I would treat it the same if it was mine - cut off - put cinnamon paste on it. (cinnamon Paste = Cinnamon + elmers glue)

hmmm... never heard of using glue with the cinnamon. makes sense that it keeps it there. have you noticed if it helps significantly more than just cinnamon?

Back