Hello from Basel, Switzerland

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

well, following a message from a friend in another forum (Hi, Shakkai :ninja:), where she asked me for permission to post a picture of my "especial" Paph. Wössner Goldsuk, I decided to join Slippertalk... I recently started growing slippers, and all started when my partner bought a Phrag. Jason Fischer for me at an Orchids Show (First thought was: holy c%*“#, a Phragmi, I don't know whetehr I can grow it :D, then the second was, that's a sweet present, I hope I don't kill it in one week ;)), and me discovering at the same show the first Paph helenae I have ever seen... love at the first sight... doing some research, and with time, I realized I can grow Phragmis, and that Paph. helenae and its hybrids are amazing plants, however not that easy to find :(

Apart of Slippers (4 Phrags and 21 Paphs, plus 3 more Paphs on their way to my home) I also grow miniatures (most of them in a large Vivarium), Neofinetias and Sedirean japonica (passion that I also share with Shakkai), Catasetinae (due to space, only 11 plants, 5 of them are Ctsm. pileatum - this is the orchid which occupy the position Number One of my top ten, and that since more than 20 years!), and of course some other plants which somehow found a way to my colection...

For those asking, I was born and grew up in Venezuela, then I moved to Germany, and after some "country jumping" I finally made my way to Switzerland, where I currently live.

I grow indoors, and in the Flickr link below, you can see my setup and some of my plants (not all of them, and also not all the orchids there are part of my collection anymore)

ah, and becase I mentionned it before, here is my Paph. Wössner Goldsuk: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28895012@N08/3022174894/in/set-72157606303433643/ shape is not the best, but I hope it improves in the future (this is a first time blooming seedling), however I think the color makes it for this plant...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum You've got some beauties Ramon! :drool: :smitten: Wossner Zwerg is darling! That Ports of Paradise is awesome!
and I see we have another to take photo tips from!

hey, thanks everybody...

Goldenrose, the Port of paradise is one of my favorite Cattleya hybrid (and one of the very few which will always be part of my collection!)... it opens green, and then turns to golden yellow within few days... but the most amazing of it is the fragrance: very strong lemony scented!

..and Wössner Zwerg was my first Paph. helenae hybrid... grows very well, has several fans, and (my opinion) it has improved both shape and color with time - well, it has bloomed only twice in life :D

Welcome to ST!

Switzerland is a beautiful country. I was vacationing in Interlaken this past July. Lovely!

Hey there, Ramón! Cool intro - glad to see you joining in! I know you've got lots of pretty pictures to share! :)

Welcome, Ramón! Lovely colllection you have!

My husband and I visited Switzerland some years ago, and one of the memories was going to bed in our tent under cloudless skies, then hearing what we thought was thunder all night. We thought we were in for a big rainstorm. When we woke up the next morning, the skies were still cloud-free. So what was the thunder? It was spalling glaciers sending mini-avalanches down the mountainside.

hi ramon. its nice to have you here with all the experience you have.
i remember you from the other site.

Welcome from Luxembourg Ramon!!! I like your plants and 'impressions' too!! but didn't find a pic. of cat. pileatum (which is a great bloom)! Jean

:) Thanks again.. :)

Jean, that's true.. for some reason the pictures of Ctsm pileatum I have did not make it to Flickr (I am not very convinced with them). However, I have a Ctsm. pileatum in buds now (two spikes, 9 buds). It is supposed to be var. aurem (the label is written Ctsm. pileatum "White and Yellow" and it was confirmed not to be 'Oro Verde'). I will try to get some nice pictures and upload them to Flickr.
I have "Oro verde", var. album, var. aureum (I hope so), and two different (not yet bloomed) var. imperiale (yes, I know, but I am stil reluctant to accept that imperiale is a separate species :)). One of the imperiale is supposed to be 'Pierre Couret'

Latest posts

Back