Hell hath no fury like a paphiopedilist scorned!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guldal

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the last gathering at our local orchid society the judges didn't really care for my roth ...they didn't like the form of the petals, bending downwards, and-what-do-I-know...

The petals on the biggest flower measured 17 cm (6.7 in.), i.e. the flower was all in all 34 cm (13.4) across. They gave a measly rating for size and for color/intensity, too...which I, actually, really didn't understand.

The pic is not great, but I think the flowers and plant are:
bFIfUT.jpg

And, alas, in the end I was vindicated: my plant was voted 'plant of the evening' :)

I don't see anything wrong with your flower. I believe petals closer to 180 degrees are currently preferred, but your flower has good size and good color. My last two roths to bloom had petal lengths of only 12-13 cm, which I do think is too small. BTW, we will be in Copenhagen in June for our granddaughter's birthday. It is a beautiful city, but slightly expensive. Mike

Firstly welcome to ST!
Secondly... why put so much power into what a human says about the form and color of a flower made by nature?
Thirdly: "Expectation is premeditated disappointment" - Sogyal Rinpoche

Cheers
Jake

From what I understand, size is a possible 10 points (out of 100). If this is a first bloom, I suspect the next blooming will be even better. This is a very nice roth.

And welcome to ST.

I like your roth a lot. The judges ''verdict'' should be enough to tell you that orchid judging is a waste of your and the plants time.

Nice roth. All roths are wonderful and a thrill to flower. So you should be happy. But is it award quality? I agree with the judges.

I cant see your picture but orchid judging as a whole is a waste of time. See my other posts as to why. Until they make alliance specific judging with true apolitical experts who hybridize don't waste your time. If you need to be told how nice your flower is respectfully you are not that interested in the "quality". If that is the case just enjoy what you like.

Thanks everybody for supportive and/or strict, but fair and just commentaries! :wink:

It had a quite therapeutic effect to blow off steam...and I'm now able to adopt a more zen-like state of mind in the matter!

Paranthetically: no, I didn't necessarily consider my roth award material, but compared to the evaluation by the same judges on a few, similar plants...I still found their general evaluation of my plant (too) low!

As a new boy in the class, I started out fearing, that I somehow had stirred up a hornets nest after having posted this thread. But it has turned out to prove a nice learning experience.

Among other things: I've learned, that there might be a quite different way in which the weighing of individual items in the overall evaluation of a plant is computed across the atlantic...and your responses have made me curious to learn more about the difference?!
And last, but not least, I've learned, that Ray is a witty jester with a nice, sordid humour! :rollhappy:

So: thanks everybody!
Jens

Latest posts

Back