Habenaria quinqueseta

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prem

Reaction score
I happened to come across a post in a gardening forum where someone in the Brooksville, FL area was asking for the ID of a particular plant in her yard, wondering if it was an orchid. It turned out she had Habenaria quinqueseta growing in her yard.

I requested to go to her house and photograph the flowers, as this would be a new species/variety for me. She graciously agreed, and here is one of the photos that resulted:

habenaria_quinqueseta_spike_nat_bg.jpg

You can see more info about this species on my blog at:

The Florida Native Orchid Blog

Enjoy!
---Prem

Superb! :) Love the little spider peeking at us in the photo near the bottom of the spike. EEEEK! :sob:

Tom--yes, I managed to find some. Interestingly enough, when I arrived back in the Orlando area from my trip, I had an e-mail from someone else who had found my site asking for an ID of their yard orchids...same species growing about five miles from where I was photographing that day.

-------------------------------------------------

Lanmark--if you go to the info page on my website:

http://www.flnativeorchids.com/natives_gallery/habenaria_quinqueseta.htm

you will see a closeup of the spider. He was a red-backed jumping spider...cute little guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Charles--these are native to Florida and obviously have no problem volunteering in people's yards, flower pots, etc.

---Prem

There is apparently a guy near Gainesville, Florida, that cultivates and sells these...since they reproduce vegetatively as well as by seed, they should be easy to cultivate and share with others.

---Prem

Latest posts

Back