Growing in crushed terra cotta

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume the terracotta tiles aren't chemically treated?
Many are treated as TC stains and grows algae.
I dont know if the sealant is plant toxic, so try a few first.

That was my only concern. Tarracotta pots are made for plants. But the tiles could contain other ingredients or chemicals. You never know what they put in things.

I assume the terracotta tiles aren't chemically treated?
Many are treated as TC stains and grows algae.
I dont know if the sealant is plant toxic, so try a few first.

As far as I know its just red clay and water that has been baked.... I have no problem with the algae. After all, It releases N for the plant! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If a sealer has been used, it's most likely just sodium silicate. Once wicked up into the pores and excess washed off its pretty inert (but then your clay won't wick any water either).

Sometimes terra cotta tiles are "salt glazed" (like shiny clay sewer pipe). Good old salt - sodium chloride - is introduced into the kiln, and the salt fluxes the surface, forming a relatively weak glass.

when I bought clay tiles at lowes I asked it there was anything other than clay, and they told me 'no'. I use them for baking pizza and bread in the oven. I was also thinking about setting some in water and mounting plants towards the top, let the water wick up (or maybe make a 'box' of then glued together and put green water retaining stuff inside. maybe use it to make my own sort of 'zeer pot'

one thing to remember is that clay pots can get coated with fertilizer and waste crud, in addition to calcium if used where there is hard water; if this is inside another pot, salts might collect though maybe since they are inside a pot instead of being the outside of a wicking clay pot, salts might not build up

Back