Growers: How Are you Dealing With the Heat?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK....so here's the damage so far from last months heat. All but one of my besseae's dead. The survivor not doing so well. The paphs, on the other hand, are doing surprisingly well. The only damage, beyond what they had already sufferred from accidental sunburn, was some burn spots on the leaves of my fowlieii, which was actually completely shaded. Surprisingly, a lot of my paphs are in bud now, and the buds are growing rapidly, not blasting as summer buds usually do- 2 niveums, Clair De Lune, Maudiae "The Queen", Freckles x primulinum (a plant that almost never blooms).

so sorry to hear that Eric. My phrags overall are showing heat stress but I don't see any in serious trouble ... yet. Our temps dropped to upper 80's but the humidity went up! Yesterday morning & afternoon storms rolled thru & forecasts are saying upper 70's for the week, I'll believe when I see & feel it!

so sorry to hear that Eric. My phrags overall are showing heat stress but I don't see any in serious trouble ... yet. Our temps dropped to upper 80's but the humidity went up! Yesterday morning & afternoon storms rolled thru & forecasts are saying upper 70's for the week, I'll believe when I see & feel it!

It's possible, as our high was 80 today, with a low of 56 tonight, followed by a high tomorrow of 69.

I'm pretty pleased with my system so far.

We've had straight temps as high as 102 and sunny. GH hasn't gone above 94, and for no more than a few hours at mid day.

I moved the fogger to the opposite side of the GH from the ventilator fan, and added a vent behind it. So when the big ventilator fan comes on it pulls the outside air through the fogger.

I'll add a little bit about my conditions here in South Texas. Here is the weather we have to deal with

Shading that I currently need because of tree loss.

Next is how well the wet wall works during these 95 degree plus days with no rain.

Rick I see you using black shade cloth. Switching to a white or the reflective aluminet will make a significant difference.

Phrags are fine (lost a besseae); Non slippers are fine. Some of my Paphs are showing a bit of heat stress and lost a few! :sob:

Latest posts

Back