germination---now what?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last year I put pollen of Paph Knock Knock x Red Glory onto my Paph insigne and the pod took and held. I sowed the seed some weeks ago onto Knudson C with banana a la Ian Walters. I put the flask into the cupboard and forgot about it. This weekend I had a look and it looks like there is some germination. Do I leave the flask in the cupboard or bring it into the light? When do the protocorms get to see the light of day?

Sterilization was 3% H2O2 for 3 minutes. There was no rinse.

Interesting! I'll be watching for your answers too! I have tissue culture experience, but no Paph flasking experience, so I'm interested to hear any Paph specific tricks of the trade.

Well, now tha germination is accomplished, the plants (protocorms) will need light to grow. I grow mine under a double 40 W fluorescent shop light at about inches, until I reflask.

Thanks for the reply Brian.

I'm afraid the number between "about" and "inches" has been forgotten...Never the less, the ambient light in the lab seems enough to grow all my other flasklings.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply Brian.

I'm afraid the number between "about" and "inches" has been forgotten...Never the less, the ambient light in the lab seems enough to grow all my other flasklings.

Thanks for the reply

Ha!! About 8 inches.

Back