Gastrorchis schlechteri 'Fredensborg'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
First flower open. More to follow.

GastrochilusFLSM.jpg

It's a big flower. No smell that I can detect. Enjoy!

It's formerly belongs to the Phaius genus. All Gastrorchis species are originate from Madacarscar. In term of plant growths and habit, very similar to Phaius.

I do wish they are more widely avaliable thou. Andy Orchids from U.S.A occasionally have these for sale.

What's the plant size like? Similar to phaius?

Hey Rose, yes the plant is very similar looking to Phaius, but mine is much more compact in comparison. Can't comment on ultimate size though since I just got it in the late fall. Currently it stands no more than 10" tall with a spread of about 18" (five growths in all). It has two spikes, the tallest just under 2'. I'll post more shots once it is in full flower.

Wow, that is a beauty. Thanks for sharing Tom. Like others have said, I have definitely added this one to my must get one for a display plant list. (there are quite a few on this list, including Coelogyne schillerianum, anyone got one?)

Fantastic flower!!!! What do yuo have it potted in??

Leo, I have a coel. schilleriana. I have it since january but no evidence of new growth so far! :(

Fantastic flower!!!! What do yuo have it potted in??

Leo, I have a coel. schilleriana. I have it since january but no evidence of new growth so far! :(

Thank you, hope it picks up and starts growing for you. Unfortunately we live in different countries, the paperwork for you to export and me to import is prohibitive. Anyone in the US have Coelogyne schilleriana?

Fantastic flower!!!! ...

Wow!!! must be a very seldom, but cool species!!! Even Clayton has no pic in his Coelogyne synopsis, and not too many pics on the web!!! Jean

Back