First philippinense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PHRAG

The paphs have started arriving. Here is the philippinense I got today from Norman's...

Paph philippinense ('Angel Wings' HCC/AOS x 'Easter Parade' HCC/AOS)

philip1.jpg

philip2.jpg

philip3.jpg

Love the "shoulders" and the tall spike! The colour of the petals is to die for, too!

As a side note* How can any "lumper" say that Phrags' beautiful, tall, dark, twisted petalled plant, is the same species as my laevigatum?

Very nice one! I typically am uninterested in Paph. phillippinense, but this a beauty! Nice buy!

-Pat

...not too familiar with P. phillipinense, but most likely; like this one! Those petals are extended somewhat and not completely drooping like some of those P. phillipinense we all see, especially when they are longer than usual... that's what kind of interested me... I have seen rather ugly ones, that's why I hate this species alot... but if more looked like this, they would appeal more to me for propagation. Where did u get this one? I really like this one!

-Pat

This one is sold by Norman's orchids. I ordered it in bloom for $45 plus shipping. The shipping was pretty expensive for me, because I had to have it overnighted.

The cross is called Angel Wings x Easter Parade.

I love it, but I have never had a philippinense, so I don't really know what I love about it. I was just wondering what other people like, or don't like, about philippinense. I have seen the petals that go straight down too, thats why when I pulled this one out of the box, I was amazed at what it looked like.

PHRAG said:
This one is sold by Norman's orchids. I ordered it in bloom for $45 plus shipping. The shipping was pretty expensive for me, because I had to have it overnighted.

The cross is called Angel Wings x Easter Parade.

I love it, but I have never had a philippinense, so I don't really know what I love about it. I was just wondering what other people like, or don't like, about philippinense. I have seen the petals that go straight down too, thats why when I pulled this one out of the box, I was amazed at what it looked like.
It looks great to me. I'm curious as to if you prefer to purchase plants in bloom/high bud. Personally, I hate having to buy plants in bloom. Call me weird, I guess.

kentuckiense said:
It looks great to me. I'm curious as to if you prefer to purchase plants in bloom/high bud. Personally, I hate having to buy plants in bloom. Call me weird, I guess.

I am not sure how to answer this. I don't have any absolute rules. I don't buy any Japanese orchids in bloom. But I buy those mostly for the foliage. I buy all of my oncidium intergenerics in spike/flower because they are always in spike/flower :)

I have only purchased three phrags of 20 that were in spike, not counting the Don Wimber that blasted on me. And out of the 20 paphs I have bought/am buying only one so far has been in spike. I can't honestly say why I bought the philippinense in bloom. It was only a couple of bucks more so I thought what the heck.

Many of my phals have been in spike when purchased, but for the same reason as the oncidiums, they are always blooming.

The tall spike is a big plus... it shows the flowers to better vantage... Also the spiral and colour of the petals are wonderful!

The only other thing that would be a good characteristic on philippinense is the marking on the dorsal... clean marking is better than those with smudgy lines....

You've certainly done well for your first Paph Phrag!

"first bloom in spike" is generally the most desirable (and expensive). previously-bloomed or in-bloom means it's been screened by the seller. not that this one ain't nice, because the color is quite good, and the flowers look very large. but growers will rarely let an award-quality plant out of their grubby hands.

Excellent!

My philippinense 'D' is the exact same clone from Normans as well. No where near as nice as this!

thanks

Latest posts

Back