Finally Started: Greenhouse

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a few pictures of our small greenhouse as it's built. I would have liked a larger one, but space and heating costs tempered the size. The measurements will be 24ft x 32ft.

DAY ONE

Here is the first groundbreaking", as a hole is dug to access the water line from the well.

Connecttowell1.jpg

Water line: about 7-8 ft below ground.
Connecttowell2.jpg

Trench which brings water line to greenhouse site. The line crossing the trench is the power line to the house.
Connecttowell3.jpg

Site being leveled. Notice that the site is being dug into a slight hillside, hopefully providing additional insulation from winter cold.
Levelingsite1.jpg

Levelingsite2.jpg

The leveled site. The extra dirt will be placed up against the lower part of the walls. Note the water line coming out of the ground in the second picture.
Levelingsite3.jpg

Siteready.jpg

Congratulations Ross! As we both know one can never build one big enough as we can and will always fill them. Don't kid yourself, that's a pretty large one for a hobbyist like ourselves. Wish mine was that big. Please keep us posted, I'd love to see the progress as it moves along.

Wow, I thought the size of your greenhouse is huge for a hobbist.... its all in the eye of the beholder. I would kill someone for a greenhouse that size (well maybe I would, lol).

Christian

I see a pond `in one photo....and the thought crossed my mind that some of the geo thermal systems use ponds as a heat source, if they are deep enough....it may not be cost effective, but then again , maybe it would....did you consider it as a basic heat source?

I see a pond `in one photo....and the thought crossed my mind that some of the geo thermal systems use ponds as a heat source, if they are deep enough....it may not be cost effective, but then again , maybe it would....did you consider it as a basic heat source?

I had considered geothermal, but couldn't afford it, yet. The heating set up I am putting in, though, will be able to be linked into geothermal in the future. It will probably be a closed system, though, instead of an open ended water system.

Wow, I thought the size of your greenhouse is huge for a hobbist.... its all in the eye of the beholder. I would kill someone for a greenhouse that size (well maybe I would, lol).

Christian

The problem is I'm a hobbiest who just sent his 100th seed pod to the flasker. I'll try to take pictures to give you an idea of the number of plants I currently have.

Photos Day 2

I was working all day, but my son took the first picture for me, and I took the second two after getting home.

Putting insulation on floor prior to installing in floor heating pipes, and putting insulation along the perimeter into the ground to prevent frost penetration.
Insulationdown.jpg

Covering the heating tubes with a layer of sand. Note the tubes coming out of the corner.
Sandoverinsulation.jpg

Sandoverinsulation2.jpg

looks like this is going to be a super greenhouse Ross (also from the size IMO)!!!! Do you have ground heating then? hsve there been put tubes for elctricity in the ground too? Jean

looks like this is going to be a super greenhouse Ross (also from the size IMO)!!!! Do you have ground heating then? hsve there been put tubes for elctricity in the ground too? Jean

Yes, the main heat will be in floor hot water heat using an high efficiency electric boiler which will be on the electric company's dual fuel plan. The back up heat will be a Modine propane heater. The fan on the Modine as well as the exhaust fan will be linked to an electric generator in case of power outages.

The tubes are for the hot water. With the in floor heating already set, it won't be too difficult to retrofit a geothermal heat exchanger once they are more affordable.

Hello Ross.
How many inspections from start to finish for this project?
Electric- I know Jean asked already, but I'm not clear, is the electric service to be buried, or overhead?
No concrete footings? Do walls float on crushed stone?
Sorry for flurry of Qs, but this is more comfortable topic than flowers, for me.:)

Back