Fertilizer Question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your water has about 30ppm Ca and 15ppm Mg and basically no iron.

Looks good for use with K-lite if that is the direction you choose.
If you also use seaweed extract that should take care of any shortage of iron.

Your water has about 30ppm Ca and 15ppm Mg and basically no iron.

Looks good for use with K-lite if that is the direction you choose.
If you also use seaweed extract that should take care of any shortage of iron.

Lance - thank you so much. I really appreciate all your help on this. I am definitely trying the k-lite on my phals. Just a bit more apprehensive on neos. I might pick up a plain old white neo and use it as a test subject. I will be paying a visit to rays website very soon.

Marco, if it helps you allay your concerns, I have used K-Lite exclusively since late-November of 2011 on my entire collection, which is quite varied, and includes neos. All are doing quite well and blooming regularly.

About Neo growth... I have no first hand experience growing Neos.

When growing Neos in the traditional Japanese style is slow or rapid growth preferred? Thinking about the improved and "rapid" increase in the number of new growths K-lite users are getting on orchids in general is that a good thing for small traditional Neos? Or is a restricted growth rate more keeping in style?

I cant speak to what's preferred in a traditional sense. I'm relatively new to the scene. I prefer healthy growth whether it be quick or slow. I'm just a tad hesitant on neos because I don't want to risk loosing any of them. Typically i find that phals are so much more forgiving than neos and paphs.

Unless you are WAY overdoing it, fertilizer is pretty low on the impact priority.

This I do not agree with.
What you imply with this is that your plants would do just as well if you switched to fertilizing with manure as long as it was not to applied to strong.
Way under fertilizing also has a great impact. Using different formulas of fertilizer has always had a very significant impact on growth. When did that change?

Well. For what it's worth. I thought manure should be for outdoor plants. I don't know how using manure for indoor plants would fly with the misses:poke:.

With that said, I did pick up some k-lite and seaweed extract from Ray. :)

1) KelpMax does not have an objectionable odor - it reminds me of being at the beach.
2) It does not have to be refrigerated; keep it cool and out of the sun, and it can last years.

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com

Neos- number of growths does not matter as much as overall look. How the leaves are, and how the plant is presented, these are two most important features in Japanese tradition.

I have tried a few different fertilizers on my plants and have not seen any difference.

Seaweed- some people might find it stinky still. I think I did not like it, but at least far better than fish stuff, which I threw away. lol

I have tried a few different fertilizers on my plants and have not seen any difference.

Seaweed- some people might find it stinky still. I think I did not like it, but at least far better than fish stuff, which I threw away. lol

Wheres the neo photos? :poke:

I received Ray's package but i haven't opened the k-lite or seaweed extract yet. I don't think my phals have gotten used to me yet. They did come in flower so their energy may be redirected and i don't want to snip the spikes. I'm going to hold off a tad on the k-lite until they start picking up. But will keep you posted one what i think about the seaweed extract.

Back