Fake Clair de Lune

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
So, what I bought as Clair de Lune 'Edgard Van Belle' AM/AOS turns out just a different hybrid. Disappointed, but still pretty nice flowers.

When the buds stated to open up, I knew it was not the real deal by a few things. The size of the buds, the thickness of the inflorescence...Oh, well..

tG0FAcJl.jpg

OAeljRFl.jpg

I don't know, I would be hard press to say it's not Claire de Lune. The only thing I see that suggests anything else is the petals. They are held higher than what curtisii typically would do but that can change from blooming to blooming.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I don't know, I would be hard press to say it's not Claire de Lune. The only thing I see that suggests anything else is the petals. They are held higher than what curtisii typically would do but that can change from blooming to blooming.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hard to say it is not Clair de Lune, but fairly safe to say it is not Clair de Lune 'Edgard von Belle'. The dorsal is too round unless both flowers are very freshly open, the petals lack the curtisii influence, and the warty spots are too prominent to be typical. Hard to judge the size from this photo but if this is CdL EvB it is a rather atypical appearance.

Exactly.
The petal stance and the warts are all wrong.
The dorsal is definitely wrong. It is too round like lawrenceanum dominant Maudiae hybrids.
The flower size is also not that big. It is bigger than average hybrids out there, but I've seen the real deal before. It was huge!

I like it though. will keep it.

I think it's very difficult to say, one way or another, as culture plays a huge part in conformation and even color.

For example, this image is a composite of two photos of of the very same Paph. Deperle, taken about a week after I received it from Lehua Orchids and potted it into a 4.5" S/H pot (left), and 16 months later (right). To me, they look like totally different plants and flowers, yet I am absolutely certain they are one and the same plant.

Deperle_Compare.jpg

That's a great point, Ray.
It is true that certain cultural elements can make flowers different, most commonly colors.

I do believe the difference does happen due to unstable gene expression. This is not the best way to put it I guess and hope you filter out what I mean.
Under the same conditions, the same plant may flower differently from season to season. I see this on some of my plants that I have had for years.
Sometimes, they flower nicely and other times not so much so, for example, the size, shades of color, and how flat or not so flat, slightly different shapes and such.
I also find that some plants are very consistent in producing "even" flowers from bloom to bloom.

Your example of Paph. Deperle might be due to the culture, environmental changes, or it just might be random as I pointed out.

I am not sure about this stablilty of Clair de Lune 'EVB' if it is what it usually does. Maybe someone who has a real clone and has observed its habit for a very long time can clear it out.

In the meantime, I like this plant and flower any how, so I will keep it and flower it a few times and see what it does.

Also, just a side note, while the topic is on, based on my very limited sample sizes, for me, green/white maudiae hybrids tend to be highly stable from season to season.
A couple of vini colors had some really wacky habit. I had one with ugly flower, but I kept it anyway, and then the second bloom was near perfection, I'm waiting on the third flowering on that plant now.
Then I had one very fine vini color, and when it flowered for the second time, it was nothing like the first time. I flowered it yet another time, and the third bloom was also terrible and that's when I tossed it.

My Paph. Deperle, one with delenatii dunkel, had beautifully shaped flowers the first two times, and the third time, the flower was very small and ugly. It was very strange.

Overall, I find my paphs bloom out pretty consistent. I guess occasional "accidents" might just be normal, but it is how frequent the accidents happen that is the real issue for all who needs precious space for growing other stuffs. :)

Paph Deperle is a good example of a type that can change color fairly dramatically as flowers age, and confirmation to a lesser extent. Any flower does to some degree, so photo comparisons of flowers of different ages have to take that into account.

Latest posts

Back