Dark dark dark!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA!!!!! Any good photographer could reproduce these in a second. The exposure is set for the background, with back light. Dark indeed. Get the exposure right, use a light green, blue, or grey background (as one should when creating documentary images of extremely dark flowers), and expose for the middle; and you will end up seeing the greens in the second photo, and the detail in the first. HA!!!

Thanks, Ernie!

The first one is indeed very dark, but you need to put some light into the flower because otherwise it is just a silhouette.
This is my point.

HA!!!!! Any good photographer could reproduce these in a second. The exposure is set for the background, with back light. Dark indeed. Get the exposure right, use a light green, blue, or grey background (as one should when creating documentary images of extremely dark flowers), and expose for the middle; and you will end up seeing the greens in the second photo, and the detail in the first. HA!!!
Close, Brian!

Huh? So its all a camera trick? But I think Olaf posted some similar Maudiae type x multifloras which were nearly black sometime last year...
No camera tricks here. The only thing that I know of that does not reflect light is a black hole. Even the darkest of flowers will reflect light, but it has to be a combination of light into the flower and the correct exposure to show the darkness of the flower with all it's detail. A silhouette is simply the shape of an object without the detail that describes it's texture and form.
Paphioboy, your flowers are indeed dark, but without enough light to show their detail, and a correct camera exposure, all I can see is the shape of a Paph., not really the color, texture and form of that flower.

I don't mean to be offending anyone -- it's the photography teacher in me that wants to help folks make better photographs of the beautiful flowers we all love.

Did not face the "what" the book is not for me. But Wojtek has come to the rescue. This will become the black orchid?

you show that black orchid is no longer a myth.
Soon, they will be available for 5.99 at Home Depot.

I am so glad I'm not the only the one. Now if we can find that third person without a Facebook account we can start our own anti-Facebook club. :clap:

I have one, but not a fan at all. I got suckered into joining because I thought my mother was sending me messages to check out her pictures, when it was facebook sending out messages to everyone in her email folder (I have no email addresses on my facebook account nor will I join any 'apps')

Latest posts

Back