Cypripedium Princess

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often reginae does seem to dominate but as more crosses are made, many hybrids appear intermediate between the two parents. Some of those that looked just like reginae may have been pre-pollenated by bees although Ulla Silkens for instance generally looks just like reginae (but not always!) and it has been made many times. Princess is a cross between reginae and lichiangense and each plant for which there is a photo looks different, but most look quite intermediate between the two parents.

Ron

Often reginae does seem to dominate but as more crosses are made, many hybrids appear intermediate between the two parents. Some of those that looked just like reginae may have been pre-pollenated by bees although Ulla Silkens for instance generally looks just like reginae (but not always!) and it has been made many times. Princess is a cross between reginae and lichiangense and each plant for which there is a photo looks different, but most look quite intermediate between the two parents.

Ron

That's not quite what I was talking about. I know there are variences within a hybrid, but is there a difference when you use reginae (or any other species) as the pod or pollen parent? This is where I heard this about reginae: http://www.lidaforsgarden.com/Orchids/cypripedium_eng_hybrid.htm Does anyone know about this? Apomixes is a type of asexual reproduction, and I don't know how this factors into this equation.

Pod vs pollen parent can certainly influence in a specific reciprocal cross. Having done several of these I can say it does not make much difference in the long run. For Princess, all of the crosses have used reginae as the pod parent.

Ron

Latest posts

Back