Crossandra

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
I found this plant in my local garden centre last week. I had one given to me back in 1998; but, the flowers were quite a bit smaller. I guess with selective breeding, the modern hybrids available nowadays have much larger flowers. They grow as a small tropical shrub (up to 3' tall) and they bloom continuously for years. The foliage is a rich, glossy, dark green and looks a bit like the beautiful leaves of Coffee arabica. It's a nice plant even without the flowers; but, with the blooms, it's a winner. Plus, it's got numerous new inflorescences at various stages of maturity coming up.

36073.jpg

Great acquisition! Love that color! I had one of these back in the 1980s, and indeed I see the flowers are much larger 30+ years later.

Thanks everyone. It seems to be a rooted cutting just making it's first blooms. It's not very big and yet, with the new flower spikes coming up and beginning to show colour too, about half of it's biomass will soon be flowers. I like that ratio! It's quite the little hard worker....not shy to bloom and carry a lot of flowers at all. I'm really keen to see how big it gets and how many flowers it has, in a year!

There were no tags in any of the pots I saw for sale. There was just a hand written sign that said "Crossandra". So, I will never know the clonal name, if it has one.

Latest posts

Back