Crazy Jolly x Pacific Shamrock

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45750268@N03/4201149527/

I bought this as a seedling from Orchids Limited in Minnesota who obtained the cross from the Orchid Zone. It is Crazy Jolly ‘Perfection’ x Pacific Shamrock ‘Magnificent’ (cross is not registered yet). The goal of breeding was “.. for very large pastels in colors of apricot, green, white, and yellow with heavy substance.” To me, from a little distance, I think of "gold".

I think I just got lucky in my growth of this seedling in Hydroton in my indoor plant room. The natural horizontal spread is 9 cm and the vertical spread is 9.5 cm while the flower spike is about 25 cm tall. I am sure some people out there have bloomed nicer ones of this cross but I haven’t seen any other pictures. Something about the color and shape are appealing to me (and even my wife).

What do we call these combination-color complex hybrids; “pastels”, “art shade”, “novelty”, or what?

Any AOS judges remember what the MAOC show rule is for determining what color class a Paph goes in? Is the dominant color of the Petals & dorsal, or is it the dominant color of the pouch and petals? Or has the MAOC dropped subdividing the complex paph crosses?

not that many of this cross have bloomed that I am aware of. A few but a small portion.

This plant was more vigorous than either of the Crazy Jolly 'Mesmerizing' x Stone Lovely 'Tidal Wave' cross that I have from OZ (now named Stone Crazy). You just never know when you pick those seedlings. That is the good and bad of this crazy hobby. You hope for something nice and then out pops something ugly and you think of all the work that went into it and how slow these things grow. If you don't have a lot of patience (and years to wait) this isn't a good hobby. Then, every once in a while you get lucky.

Latest posts

Back