Corallorhiza odontorhiza

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckiense

Debaser
Reaction score
My favorite native orchids are the ones that are tiny, brown or green, and very un-orchidlike to the casual observer.

I found this group by scouring the roadsides of Cooper's Rock State Forest here in northern West Virginia. I especially like this population because most C. odontorhiza I've found elsewhere are cleistogamous or nearly so, tending to not show off the beautiful purple spotted lips.

As you've probably noticed, coralroots don't have any leaves. In order to meet their energy requirements, they form relationships (perhaps parisitic relationships; scientists are working on the details) with underground fungi that in turn get carbon from neighboring plants and trees. It truly takes an underground network connecting several species in order for coralroots to grow.

Corodo2011-1.jpg

Corodo2011-3.jpg

Corodo2011-2.jpg

Nice picture and nice plant.
Damed the will not grow on out of flask without this fungus.

Nice picture and nice plant.
Damed the will not grow on out of flask without this fungus.

Yes, I imagine they are a pain to grow in-vitro. I seem to recall Pat Mahon talking about being able (or knowing someone that did) to grow collected Hexalictris spicata, a somewhat similar genus/species physiologically speaking, in pots. That was a few years back so I don't really remember the details.

The pots probably had a ton of transplanted soil! :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing. I know how small they are, you should have put a quarter in the photo for size reference.

The pots probably had a ton of transplanted soil! :rolleyes:
Thanks for sharing. I know how small they are, you should have put a quarter in the photo for size reference.

Good call. They are pretty small... The tallest in the above photos were probably 7 inches tall. There were a few flowering plants (some near the bases of the above taller plants) that were under an inch tall.

Latest posts

Back